Spaghetti Squash with Bacon, Garlic, and Parmesan

Spaghetti Squash with Bacon, Garlic, and Parmesan recipeSpaghetti Squash with Bacon, Garlic, and Parmesan recipe

I know. You’re confused. So am I.

I roasted this weird vegetable squash thing. Then I put it in my mouth.

Gross!

Only, not. Weird vegetable squash things are actually quite tasty. Who knew?

Spaghetti Squash with Bacon, Garlic, and Parmesan recipe

This was my first time cooking or eating a spaghetti squash and, I’m not going to lie, I was scared. I figured if I tossed in some bacon, garlic, and Parmesan that things would work out. After all, bacon makes everything taste good, right?

Funny story: spaghetti squash actually taste just fine without the bacon. Sprinkle on some salt and pepper and I could eat it straight from the pan. Of course, adding the bacon doesn’t hurt things.The squash has this slightly sweet, earthy flavor. Earthy in a good way, not earthy in a dirt way. Earthy in a “this is what I imagine Fall would taste like if I didn’t already imagine it tastes like pumpkin pie” sort of way.

This was so filling and would easily feed my family of four as a main dish. Add in a salad and some garlic bread, and you have a healthy, scrumptious dinner.

Spaghetti Squash with Bacon, Garlic, and Parmesan recipe
Spaghetti Squash with Bacon, Garlic, and Parmesan recipe

Spaghetti Squash with Bacon, Garlic, and Parmesan recipe

Spaghetti Squash with Bacon, Garlic, and Parmesan recipePrint Recipe

Spaghetti Squash with Bacon, Garlic, and Parmesan

Ingredients:

1 spaghetti squash, around 4 pounds
4 slices bacon, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
Parmesan cheese, shaved or grated, as much as you like
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or olive oil.
Wash the spaghetti squash and slice off the end with the stem. Stand it up with the flat cut side down. Slice the squash in half lengthwise. (Use your muscles, squash can be difficult to cut!)
Scrape the seeds from the center of the squash and discard (or save for roasting and eating as a snack). Sprinkle the inside of the squash with salt and pepper.
Place on the prepared pan cut side down and bake for 30-45 minutes or until a sharp knife can be easily inserted with only a little resistance.
Set aside.
Fry the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Add the garlic to the bacon and continue cooking one minute or until fragrant.
Use a fork to scrape the flesh from the squash in long strings. Place in a bowl.
Add the bacon and garlic to the bowl of squash. You can drain the bacon first or add the grease right to the squash if you're feeling naughty.
Salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle on some Parmesan cheese.

37 Responses to “Spaghetti Squash with Bacon, Garlic, and Parmesan”

1. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen October 24, 2012 @ 8:20 am (#

Yum! spaghetti squash is one of my favorite fall dishes! Add bacon? Wins at life.

2. Jocelyn October 24, 2012 @ 8:40 am (#

I cannot tell you how many times I have picked one of those up thinking I would try it…but put it back on the shelf before i check out because it scares me! I think you have me totally convinced it needs to stay in the cart next shopping trip!!!

• Karly replied: — October 24th, 2012 @ 8:56 am

@Jocelyn,

It is so much easier and tastier than you would think!

3. DessertForTwo October 24, 2012 @ 8:58 am (#

My coworkers & I were just talking yesterday about how we need to make spaghetti squash soon! Thanks for the timely recipe :)

4. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel October 24, 2012 @ 9:00 am (#

Why have I never had spaghetti squash? A vegetable that tastes like pasta? Is that real life or is this some kind of sick teaser joke?
    Bacon makes my heart happy. And so does this dish. I want this in my mouth now please.

• Karly replied: — October 24th, 2012 @ 9:02 am

@Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel,

Personally, I think it LOOKS like pasta more than it tastes like it. It’s definitely similar in taste, but it does have this earthiness that isn’t there in regular old spaghetti. It’s yummy, but don’t expect a big bowl o’noodles, cuz it’s not that.

5. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie October 24, 2012 @ 9:59 am (#

You’ve given me the courage to try this out…I’ve always been a bit skeered of spaghetti squash!

6. Cheryl October 24, 2012 @ 11:12 am (#

Spaghetti squash is a huge favorite here. I make a homemade spaghetti sauce with diced tomatoes, ground beef, onions, etc. and add that to the cooked squash, then put in a baking dish with mozza cheese on top and bake. So yummy.
    I also find it easier to bake the squash before trying to cut it in half – so much easier. Just poke it full of holes (I use a metal BBQ skewer) and bake till soft. Easy-peasy!!!
    Definitely gonna try the bacon one – bacon and spaghetti squash seem to be a match made in heaven!!

7. Joanne October 24, 2012 @ 2:03 pm (#

I always convince myself to like strange veggies at first by smothering them with something I know I love. usually cheese. It’s always a good idea.

8. Kelly Senyei October 24, 2012 @ 2:42 pm (#

Wow! This looks awesome! I just made a butternut squash risotto with parmesan and I can’t wait to give this twist a try. Yum!

9. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes October 24, 2012 @ 9:40 pm (#

I love my pasta! i’ll have to try this, I know it won’t taste just like pasta but I bet it’s still yummy!

10. Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings October 25, 2012 @ 6:23 am (#

yum, yum, yum!

11. Kelli October 29, 2012 @ 11:19 am (#

YUM. My kids love spaghetti squash and actually request it- I can only imagine how much better it will be with bacon.

12. Adriane November 20, 2012 @ 9:52 am (#

This sounds soo good! You can also cook the squash in the microwave. Cook whole squash for a minute. Remove from micro, cut in half, and remove seeds. Put a 1/4 inch water in bottom of microwave safe bowl. Place squash inside facing down and cook for about 8 minutes. Check for tenderness. Fork out the insides and you’ve got “spaghetti “. Mmm. Of course, next tine i make it, thete will be bacon involved!!

• Fay replied: — March 21st, 2014 @ 4:06 pm

@Adriane,
      I also cook the spaghetti squash in the micro, for 2 min. , I cut it in half, seed it and pour apple juice in a micro safe dish, (Never Plastic) place the squash cut side down, and cook it until fork tender,( I cover it with Non clorine bleached paper towe)l, cool it slightly , and toss it with either sweet butter, avacado oil or coconut oil melted, and cinnamon.
      In fact this works for just about any squash!

13. Becky B November 20, 2012 @ 9:55 am (#

I love spaghetti squash and am always looking for new ways to try it! Thanks! Also if you throw it in the microwave whole for five minutes it is much easier to cut through.

14. meatballs & milkshakes November 20, 2012 @ 10:41 am (#

Looks delicious!

15. Joanna November 21, 2012 @ 12:13 pm (#

Thank you so much for this recipe! My 6 y/o LOVES it!

16. Krysten November 27, 2012 @ 8:24 am (#

So I made this last night and sauteed some onions in the bacon grease (those are healthy vegetables, right?) and added some leftover Thanksgiving turkey. I went back for seconds. And thirds.

17. Stephanie December 5, 2012 @ 9:05 pm (#

I made this tonight and removed the bacon, drained the grease, added tomatoes and garlic into the pan with the greased left on the bottom. Good and simple!!

18. Danae Bruning January 29, 2013 @ 10:46 pm (#

My first time making and trying spaghetti squash. Your directions were excellent. Followed the recipe completely and LOVED the results. Thank you! The picture sold me.

• Karly replied: — January 29th, 2013 @ 11:35 pm

So glad you were brave enough to try it! :)

Thanks for letting me know how it turned out!

19. Jessie September 30, 2013 @ 1:38 am (#

Your blog is amazing. You make everything I always dream of in my mind but haven’t quite perfected. This particular recipe just melted me. I haven’t made anything yet but I will (once my bf and my cats and I move I to a home instead of this motel…driving me crazy that I can’t cook cause there’s not even a fridge never mind a stove!) definitely make these gorgeous recipes when I get into a kitchen! This one is the first on my list along with the pumpkin cream cheese muffins and that casserole! Do you have any good hearty soup or stew recipes?

I have shared your blog on my Facebook. Keep posting! :D

Jess

20. Liz October 27, 2013 @ 7:42 pm (#

Thank you for the nice recipe.

21. Suzanne October 28, 2013 @ 7:57 pm (#

This was outstanding. I had baked two squashes for ANOTHER dish and only used one. Just shredded the squash and tossed it in the still hot bacon drippings. Tossed it all together and it was so good. I added more bacon than the recipe calls for but hey — it’s BACON.

• Karly replied: — October 29th, 2013 @ 8:43 pm

@Suzanne,

You can never have too much bacon! ;)

22. dataguide.blog.co.uk May 26, 2014 @ 12:17 pm (#

Fantastic post however I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this topic?
    I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further.
    Thank you!

23. Erin November 4, 2014 @ 10:57 am (#

I added peas to this as well. It is so delicious!

1. Pingback: Healthy Low Carb Low Calorie Creamy Mushroom Spaghetti Squash Recipe

2. Pingback: Spaghetti Squash with Bacon and Garlic | whole CLEAN living

3. Pingback: Spaghetti Squash with Bacon & Parmesan | cooking my way through life

4. Pingback: Grocery Shopping and Weekly Menu #6 | whole CLEAN living

5. Pingback: Grocery Shopping at Whole Foods and the OSU-OKC Farmer’s Market | OKC Paleo

6. Pingback: Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Crispy Bacon, Garlic and Parmesan

7. Pingback: Spaghetti Squash with Bacon & Parmesan | cooking my way through life

8. Pingback: Must Try Savory Gluten Free Recipes