Pumpkin Pie with Walnut Topping

It’s Fall. Because I say so. Because I want it to be. Because my kids look strange in jeans instead of shorts. Because I like red and orange leaves. Because I baked a pumpkin pie yesterday.

See? Fall.

I don’t want to alarm anyone, but I take my pumpkin pie very seriously. I’ve tried making it with fresh pumpkin, but it was gross. I’ve tried a hundred recipes, but none were as good as the tried and true recipe on the back of the Libby’s can. Do not even THINK about bringing me a pumpkin pie from the grocery store bakery. I will be displeased.  I’ve even tried the pre-mixed pie filling and I vomited all over the Thanksgiving turkey. True story. Not.

This pie is not from the back of the Libby’s can, but it’s still pretty darn good. If I wasn’t getting used to a new oven this pie would probably be amazing. However, I under baked it just a wee bit, so it was not as thick and firm as I’d like. I do believe it would have thickened right up had I continued baking it a bit. The flavor was perfect, under baked or not!

I took a big leap of faith by sprinkling the nut topping on this pie. Nuts? On my pumpkin pie? Where’s my fainting couch?

Happily, the nuts were good. Crunchy! And tasty! And, yes, a fun change from my normal (possibly boring) pumpkin pie.

Is this my new pumpkin pie recipe? Nah. I’ll stick with Libby’s, but you should give this a shot if you aren’t weird like me and like a little variety!

Pumpkin Pie with Walnut Topping
adapted from Bon Appétit, November 2009

Walnut Topping

• 1/2 cup walnut pieces
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • pinch of sea salt

Filling

• 1 cup golden brown sugar, packed
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • tiny pinch of cloves (up to 1/4 tsp if you like more)
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 cup heavy cream

Crust

• 1 pie crust, your recipe or store bought – I chose store bought

For the topping:
Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse until finely chopped.

For the filling:
Beat together brown sugar, eggs, and spices. Add pumpkin and cream and mix until smooth. Place the crust in the pie pan (I used a 9 inch deep dish, but a regular 9 inch would be sufficient) and pour in the filling.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 – 45 minutes or until filling is nearly set. If the crust starts to brown, tent with foil.

Remove from oven and sprinkle topping evenly over pie. Reduce oven to 325 and bake for 15 minutes longer or until filling is completely set. Cool completely before serving.

16 Responses to “Pumpkin Pie with Walnut Topping”

1. Jessica @ How Sweet September 16, 2010 @ 2:17 pm (#

Drool…. I need some of this now.

2. DessertForTwo September 16, 2010 @ 2:43 pm (#

I’m so with you! Libby’s is the best pumpkin pie recipe out there. Fresh pumpkin is gross and so is organic/free-range/vegan/local/fair trade canned pumpin! Libby’s rules!

I will say that my cowboy likes a pumpkin pie recipe from the Eagle brand milk can that contains sweetened, condensed milk. I don’t like to cheat on Libby, so I don’t make it. But his mamma makes it for him.

3. laura September 16, 2010 @ 2:59 pm (#

Wow, these look sinful!

I am making them!

4. Cindy September 16, 2010 @ 6:19 pm (#

I cannot wait to make this!

5. shelly (cookies and cups) September 16, 2010 @ 6:24 pm (#

have tried pumpkin pie with fresh pumpkin…no bueno :(
    canned pumpkin all the way, even though i am not a pumpkin pie lover…one slice a year is good for me..but I might make an exception for this, it looks really yummm!

6. my boyfriend cooks for me September 16, 2010 @ 6:57 pm (#

Pumpkin pie is hands down my favorite dessert (okay, it’s a close race with pumpkin cheesecake). But I feel the same way – it can only be eaten in fall. I actually bought some pumpkin pie in August this year, and it just felt wrong…but maybe that was just because it was from the grocery store? ; )

7. Walnut Lovers September 16, 2010 @ 7:16 pm (#

Thank you for posting this. Can’t wait to make this one, it will be perfect for our Halloween party! Outstanding

8. Anna September 16, 2010 @ 7:53 pm (#

But Karly, there’s a pumpkin shortage! Last year’s flood ruined a whole bunch of pumpkins. There won’t be a good amount of pumpkin on the shelves until after this year’s pumpkins are ripe. :(

9. Joanne September 16, 2010 @ 8:02 pm (#

Bad pumpkin pie would certainly make me vomit all over the turkey. I dont’ even really like turkey all that much anyway. So if I had time to aim, I would go for hte turkey. Spare the stuffing and butternut squash, as they hold the keys to my happiness on T-Day.

This does sound like one tasty pie. I’m so excited that you’ve declared it fall. Now the pumpkin baking marathon can begin!

10. Tawny @The Year of The Cookie September 16, 2010 @ 10:03 pm (#

I’m not a huge pumpkin pie person but this is a little different and definitely looks worth trying!

11. Barbara September 17, 2010 @ 5:53 am (#

Yea! Pumpkin season. I love pumpkin anything! (And I bought some extra cans last year in case my market didn’t have any this fall!)
    Looks like a fun recipe, Karly….bring on more!

12. Jen @ How To: Simplify September 17, 2010 @ 3:31 pm (#

This is one of the reasons why I love this season so much. This looks amazing!

13. grace September 18, 2010 @ 1:08 am (#

i don’t want to admit it, but i guess pumpkin pie time is upon us. i can tell you take it seriously–this is one perfect pie!

14. Cassie September 19, 2010 @ 11:39 am (#

OH MY! That looks wonderful!

15. The Waspy Redhead September 20, 2010 @ 7:51 pm (#

Great looking pie – speaking of Libby’s canned pumpkin, have you heard whisper of the pumpkin shortage we’re up against this year? Apparently there was a bad crop last year and we are out of luck for this year. Horde your pumpkin!

16. katie September 24, 2010 @ 5:56 pm (#

oh my gosh.
    i HATE how pumpkin pies look so plain and unappetizing
    but this looks delicious!!!
    i cant wait to try it!