Cilantro Lime Rice

Cilantro Lime Rice recipe

I mentioned last week that I have a bit of a thing for Mexican food. I wasn’t lying. I love it. I love cooking it and I love eating it and I love thinking about it.

I also love going to Chipotle, but the closest one to me is a good 45 minutes away. I don’t cry about it too much though. I just recreate my favorite dishes from there at home. Take, for example, this cilantro lime rice. It’s a Chipotle favorite of mine.

This rice is good served as a side with tacos, but it’s really good served inside the taco. Or inside the burrito. Or in a burrito bowl. Or on chocolate cake.

What?

Just making sure you were paying attention.

Cilantro Lime Rice

• 1 cup extra long grain white rice
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 lime
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (or more, to taste)
  • salt, to taste

Pour the rice, water, and 1 tbsp of the olive oil into a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and continue boiling over medium heat until the water just skims the top of the rice. Reduce heat to low, cover the pan, and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Turn the heat off after 15 minutes and keep covered for 5 more minutes. Remove lid and transfer the rice to a large bowl. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, the juice of the lime, and the finely chopped cilantro to the rice. Mix well and salt to taste.

23 Responses to “Cilantro Lime Rice”

1. katie March 14, 2010 @ 7:58 pm (#

I made cilantro lime rice last week too! I like mine mixed into chipotle chicken salad, yum. Sadly I lost my photos. Luckily that means I get to make some more!

2. Stephanie March 14, 2010 @ 8:13 pm (#

Um, I think my husband is in love you now. He is OBSESSED with everything Chipotle! Thanks for the recipe!

3. amy2boys March 14, 2010 @ 9:14 pm (#

This picture is gorgeous – pretty rice! Food photography is so freaking hard and you are great at it.

4. amy2boys March 14, 2010 @ 9:15 pm (#

And also, why is it so hard? It’s FOOD. It doesn’t like, move or anything. But getting good pictures takes talent.

5. Memoria March 15, 2010 @ 12:13 am (#

What a beautiful bowl of rice! I love the cilantro lime rice at Chipotle, too. Thanks for a great recipe.

6. the wicked noodle March 15, 2010 @ 5:34 am (#

I adore Chipotle, we just ate there yesterday in fact ;-) Thanks for this yummy recipe!

7. grace March 15, 2010 @ 5:38 am (#

i LOVE chipotle. i do not, however, love rice. i’m not sure why it bothers me so, but it does. i will say, though, that if i were ever going to love it, it would contain cilantro and lime. :)

8. shelly (cookies and cups) March 15, 2010 @ 12:52 pm (#

haha! never been to chipotle, but I really want to..there are none near me, so it’s off my radar. this rice sounds yuummmm!! I love all food mexican too, it’s my thing ;)

9. Simone (junglefrog) March 16, 2010 @ 4:56 am (#

The rice sounds perfect to me and hey, maybe you should just try it inside a chocolate cake…lol

10. Alanna March 16, 2010 @ 8:04 am (#

oh nom, nom, nom!

11. Talita March 16, 2010 @ 10:49 am (#

I’ve never heard about this dish. I also never tried Mexican food. But looks great I’d love to try it.

Your blog is amazing! I read all the posts and copied many recipes that I’m crazy to bake.

12. megan March 17, 2010 @ 7:35 pm (#

your picture is beautiful! And the rice sounds incredible. like everyone else who commented, my husband and I LOVE chipotle. i’ll be making this!

13. Barbara March 18, 2010 @ 11:36 am (#

Well, the rice probably would be OK with chocolate, but cilantro? LOL
    Great photo!!

14. Pat Campbell March 18, 2010 @ 3:11 pm (#

Do you think you could make this in a rice cooker?

15. mary March 18, 2010 @ 7:58 pm (#

^ i make the rice plain in the rice cooker, let it sit for five minutes then add a small pat of butter, chopped cilantro and lime juice with a pinch of salt. comes out just like chipotle!!

16. Ashley March 22, 2010 @ 8:03 am (#

I love Mexican food too! Unfortunately we don’t have Chipotle’s in Canada but I did get to try it when I went to Seattle and it was yummmmmmmmy. Especially their guacamole. I don’t think the taco/burrito places here even make their own guacamole. This rice sounds like it would make an already delicious burrito even better.

17. Bugaboo March 23, 2010 @ 2:58 pm (#

I don’t really care for rice, but the one time I ate at Chipotle, I loved this stuff. Wow. So good. Thanks for thowin’ this one out there so I can eat rice the one way I like it! :o)

18. Aliceson March 26, 2010 @ 1:33 pm (#

I make this all the time and my husband and kids don’t even complain about the green specs. So good!

19. Esi March 28, 2010 @ 11:27 pm (#

I make a version of this rice all the time. I totally love it!!

20. LadyJayPee April 11, 2010 @ 9:31 am (#

I have made this twice in the past two days. It is SO good! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!

21. Samantha April 30, 2010 @ 1:05 pm (#

I feel sad for you, our Chipotle is only 2 mins away. Needless to say, we eat there several times a month. We are having company for dinner tonight and I am making a taco bar and decided I must include this rice. I will post another comment with the responses it gets. Thanks!

22. Pat Campbell May 7, 2010 @ 7:22 am (#

I made the rice last night. It was delicious! I would have never made it without seeing your recipe.

23. Dea Win October 26, 2011 @ 12:17 pm (#

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS RECIPE. I will make some after I get finish doing my RAW CHALLENGE :)