I went a little picture crazy on the Oatmeal Carmelitas. It’s just that they are so pretty! And gooey! And so full of caramel and chocolate and oaty goodness.
Oaty goodness? That sounds kinda icky, doesn’t it?
Let’s just forget I said that.
Carmelitas recipes are among my favorite dessert bars
The thing is, bar desserts have always and will always be my favorites. They are generally easy to make, simple to transport and share, and obviously, they tend to taste just plain delicious. I mean who doesn’t love fluffernutter bars and snickerdoodle bars?
These are one of my all time favorite bar desserts, which is sort of saying a lot.
I even busted out my macro lens (which hasn’t been out to play in, um, more months than I’d like to admit) to take pictures of the prettiness. I wanted to capture the gooey caramel and the melty chocolate.
I wanted to let the pictures do the talking. Then I started typing and messed all of that up.
Oatmeal carmelitas recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups butter melted
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 jar caramel ice cream topping 10-12 ounces
- 11 ounces milk chocolate chips 1 bag
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, oats, butter, and baking soda until well combined.
- Press half of the mixture into a 13x9 baking dish and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top the crust with the chocolate chips. Spoon the caramel sauce over the chocolate chips. Sprinkle with the sea salt, to taste.
- Crumble the remaining crust over the mixture as evenly as possible and return to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Cool before cutting.