My husband had a birthday this week. A big one.
Last year he turned thirty and that was kind of huge. I mean, thirty, y’all. He’s clearly very old. Decrepit. Ancient, even.
Poor thing. I’m still safely in my twenties. For another six months or so, anyway.
This year, though, the birthday boy turned thirty-one, which means that when people say “How old is your husband?” I get to reply “In his thirties.”
“In his thirties” sounds so much older than just plain “Thirty,” am I right? It’s also just a little bit sexy, but don’t tell him I said that.
He’s gearing up for a big trip to Vegas with his two brothers to celebrate his oldness. I’d be jealous, but I’m too busy planning a trip to the Bahamas for my thirtieth. Getting old is actually not as horrible as I anticipated.
Well, except for the part where my hair has started going gray. That part is kind of a bummer.
Anyway, my husband is all weird and hateful about cake. He doesn’t like it. I know…I can’t believe I married him either. But, I did and since he’s cute I’ll keep him. I just have to get creative on his birthday. This year I combined his two favorites: chocolate chip cookies and cheesecake. Easy peasy.
Chocolate chip cookie cheesecake bars are kind of like a cookie sandwich with a better filling
For the cookie layers, it’s no sweat. Basically just make normal chocolate chip cookie dough with your favorite chocolate chips. The “normal” chocolate chip is definitely the semi-sweet variety, but in our house we like the milk chocolate chips instead. Whichever you choose, these will be great!
The cheesecake center is also easy. The recipe has a homemade cheesecake center that takes just a couple minutes. This cheesecake filling is what becomes the creamy filling on these amazing cheesecake bars. The chocolate chip cookies and cheesecake together will make you throw away your Oreos as a subpar dessert.
These do take a while to cook, about 40 minutes. So partake in your favorite hobby while it’s baking, or watch your favorite show. Whatever you do, don’t do the dishes! You made this amazing dessert, let someone else do the dishes and earn their piece of chocolate chip cookie cheesecake bars. Tell them “the internet said so”.
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cookie Bars
For the cookie layers:
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
For the cheesecake layer:
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
To make the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, baking soda, and flour.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed butter. Mix until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
To make the cheesecake layer:
- Mix all ingredients together until well combined.
- Line a 9x13 baking sheet with parchment paper. Press half of the cookie dough in the bottom of the baking sheet.
- Pour on the cheesecake layer and spread evenly.
- Place the remaining dough over the top of the cheesecake. It's easiest to take small handfuls of dough and press them out in your hand before placing them on the cheesecake layer. The cookie dough doesn't have to cover the cheesecake layer completely, but should come close.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Cool completely before serving and store in the refrigerator.
recipe adapted from Heat Oven to 350