Brown butter chocolate chip cookies are the second best chocolate chip cookies ever. But the cookie dough…second to none!
When I want cookies, I usually want them right now. There is no patience to be found. I make the dough, I eat half of it, I bake the rest, I consume the resulting cookies within minutes. That’s just how I roll.
Those New York Times cookies everyone raves about? No. No freakin’ way. I can not make cookie dough and then just let it sit in my fridge for days and days. Do I look like a grown up adult type person or something? I do? Well, I sure as heck don’t act like one when it comes to cookies.
(Before you all send me hate mail and insist that I try the NY Times recipe, I’ve tried it. Not worth the wait, in my opinion.)
I almost didn’t make this recipe because it requires browning butter and then letting the butter harden back up. Then my love of brown butter knocked me over the head and insisted that I make these cookies immediately.
Brown butter chocolate chip cookies make the BEST cookie dough
I don’t usually experiment too much with chocolate chip cookies, because I already have that one recipe that is just plain perfect. You can find my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe by clicking the link, if you’re curious.
As soon as I tasted the dough for these guys I started bragging on facebook about finding the one true chocolate chip cookie that would one day rule the world.
Then I baked the cookies and discovered that, while super delicious, they didn’t quite beat my other favorite. The raw dough, however, was out of this world amazing. I see some serious egg-less cookie dough experimenting coming up with that dough.
I thought I’d still share the recipe, because it is a fabulous cookie and I’m quite sure it will make favorite status with some of you. In fact, I plan to take the idea of browning the butter in this recipe and using it in my other favorite recipe. Brown butter is my new favorite thing, you know. Prepare to be assaulted with brown butter recipes.
Not the chocolate chip cookie recipe you were looking for? Try my double chocolate chip cookies and brown butter glazed pecan cookies!
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb chocolate chips/chunks
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Begin by melting the butter in a small sauce pan over low heat, stirring constantly. The butter will foam and then once the foam subsides you will notice small dark flecks in the butter. Continue stirring until the butter has reached a dark brown color without burning. (I take it just to the edge of burning, but you can stop sooner.) Pour the butter in a small bowl and refrigerate until hardened again.
- Once the butter has hardened back up, cream it together with the sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the eggs one a time, mixing until fully incorporated.
- Beat in the vanilla and mix until light and fully.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- With your mixer on low, slowly add the flour to the butter mixture.
- Continue mixing until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Dump in the chocolate and mix for another couple of seconds to combine.
- Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
recipe from the little red house
Leave a Review