Buffalo “Chicken” Cauliflower Bites
I did something super weird, you guys.
I made Buffalo Chicken out of cauliflower.
No, I’m not going vegetarian on you. I just happened to see this recipe from PETA and decided that um, yeah. It needed to happen. Like, immediately.
And that’s the story of how I ate cauliflower covered in buffalo sauce for breakfast yesterday.
These were surprisingly good. At least, the flavor was. The texture was kind of weird for me. I think I was anticipating some crunch, but the cauliflower was completely cooked which made it soft.
Will I make these again? Probably. Next time I’m going to try frying them, though. I think the batter will stick bettter, crisp up more, and the cauliflower won’t have time to cook as much leaving some of that crunch there. I know how y’all feel about frying though, so try the baked version! It’s good stuff!
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into pieces
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix together the flour, milk, garlic powder, and salt to form a thin batter.
- Coat the cauliflower pieces in the batter and place on a shallow baking sheet.
- Bake for 18 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is baking, heat the hot sauce and butter together over low heat until the butter has melted.
- Toss the baked cauliflower gently in the hot sauce mixture.
- Return to the baking sheet and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with ranch dressing or blue cheese, for dipping.