Chocolate Peppermint Patty Cookies

I’m not sure how you all can expect me to bake Christmas cookies when it’s 40 degrees outside and thundering. Is this what it’s like living in the South during the holidays? I mean, don’t get me wrong, snow comes straight from the devil, but really?

40 degrees and rain? In the middle of December?

I can feel all of my holiday spirit just withering up and dying. It burns. It buuuuuuuuurns!

Okay, no, it doesn’t.

I might complain about the snow, but it has come to my attention that I sorta need it.

In the meantime, I guess the Christmas cookies will have to do their job and get me feelin’ all festive. I’ll have to eat double. You know, to make up for the lack of white fluffy stuff happening outside.

These cookies were inspired by the much prettier version found on Taste and Tell. I just made things a bit simpler by using a cake mix for the dough and leaving off the pretty topping. I kind of regret not adding the pretty topping. The pretty topping is pretty. For serious.

PrintPrintSaveSave

Chocolate Peppermint Patty Cookies

Ingredients:

1 box devil's food cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup canola oil
18 peppermint patties (the small ones)
powdered sugar, for sprinkling

Directions:

Beat together the cake mix, eggs, and oil until well combined and a sticky dough forms.
Place dough in the fridge for 20 minutes to chill. If you skip this step, the dough will be very hard to work with, but if you're in a hurry just make sure your hands are cold by running them under cold water after you shape each cookie.
Grab a golf ball sized ball of dough, roll into a ball, and flatten it into a disc.Place a peppermint patty in the center and bring the excess dough up and around the patty to cover it.
Repeat with remaining dough and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet 2 inches apart from each other.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 9 minutes.
Remove from oven and sprinkle on powdered sugar.
Cool on a wire rack.

23 Responses to “Chocolate Peppermint Patty Cookies”

1. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel December 14, 2011 @ 9:08 am (#

Yum!! What an awesome way to make peppermint patties even better (if that’s even possible of course). BTW if you really want snow… I’ll gladly send you everything we get in the coming months! ;)

2. shelly (cookies and cups) December 14, 2011 @ 9:09 am (#

Love these!! My kiddo would eat the whole batch himself!
    Going on my Christmas baking list for sure :)

3. Jessica December 14, 2011 @ 9:10 am (#

These look absolutely amazing! I love peppermint patties but have never seem them put in a cookie before!!

4. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 14, 2011 @ 9:31 am (#

I love that these are just a box of cake mix (can’t screw that up!) stuffed with peppermint patties…oh heck yes, I love this!

5. Cookbook Queen December 14, 2011 @ 9:44 am (#

These look perfect. And I just so happen to have some mini peppermint patties in the kitchen. And cake mix of course because life without cake mix is like life without oxygen.

And yes, that IS what it’s like living in the south. I say this as I stare at the rain out my office window :(

6. Katrina December 14, 2011 @ 10:57 am (#

These sound delightful! I love a good stuffed cookie :)

7. Jessica @ Cajunlicious December 14, 2011 @ 11:19 am (#

I am so happy I can across your delicious blog, you’ve got yourself a new follower!!! xo Jessica

8. Deborah December 14, 2011 @ 12:18 pm (#

I’m so glad you made these! Love the idea of using a cake mix – you are right – so much easier!!

9. Amy's Cooking Adventures December 15, 2011 @ 8:02 am (#

Oh yummy! These look great! I love peppermint patties!

10. Mary December 15, 2011 @ 8:11 am (#

You have me hooked! I have a real weakness for any chocolate and peppermint combo,and your cookies have set my stomach grumbling. This is my first visit to your site, so I took some time to browse through your earlier entries as well. I’m so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I’ll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

11. Amy @ The Savvy Kitchen December 15, 2011 @ 8:29 am (#

I LOVE peppermint patties. I can’t wait to try these! Also, visit me over at The Savvy Kitchen (www.savvykitchen.blogspot.com) to enter my giveaway!

12. Megan December 15, 2011 @ 7:39 pm (#

AHHH perfect for Christmas!

13. Jocelyn December 16, 2011 @ 12:49 am (#

Those are amazing!!! And I can’t wait to make some with the bag of peppermint patties in my cupboard:-)

14. Barbara December 16, 2011 @ 5:56 am (#

These look great, Karly. I love chocolate and peppermint in a cookie!

15. brandi December 16, 2011 @ 8:46 am (#

gah, these are going to kill me, I know it.

sigh…now i HAVE to buy peppermint patties this weekend.

16. Errandbug Restaurant Delivery Lincoln Ne December 16, 2011 @ 12:55 pm (#

Perfect Christmas cookie…I like to go outside after having a peppermint patty just to breathe the air. It is super crisp feeling. Off to the store we go. :)

17. Abbey December 18, 2011 @ 11:30 am (#

40 degrees! Thats cold …Try shopping for your Christmas tree in shorts and flip-flops b/c its in the 80′s, phew. Love the cookie recipe. I would have to buy double the peppermint patties since I would eat a bag during prep.

18. Charlotte December 30, 2011 @ 6:54 pm (#

I made these tonight! OH SWEET MOTHER OF JESUS! So delicious. THANK YOU!

1. Pingback: Weekend Love: 12/18/11 | Baked by Rachel

2. Pingback: Vanilla Protein Powder Granola with Dates (Baking Christmas Gift Ideas)

3. Pingback: Thin Mint Puppy Chow - Shugary Sweets