Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese with Smoked Sausage
Back when I had my first baby, my husband’s grandma brought over a big casserole dish full of mac and cheese.
You guys, I was ecstatic. I loved mac and cheese and I was exhausted beyond belief. An already cooked dinner that I knew I was going to enjoy. Yasss.
Then I peeled back the foil to heat it up and I saw all of this weirdness happening in there. To be specific, there was smoked sausage. All up in my macaroni and cheese.
I admit to nothing, but there may have been tears.
I mean, who would ruin mac and cheese that way and then give it to a hormonal new mother?
I decided to just pick around the sausage until my husband convinced me to just grow up and try a bite of the sausage.
Y’all. I am forever in that man’s debt. I’m now hooked on mac and cheese with smoked sausage. Why is it so good? I will never know. But I will always keep eating it and trying to find out.
Anyway, I jumped on the Instant Pot craze, along with the rest of the country, and I figured I’d better learn how to make some pressure cooker mac and cheese. I’ve made this a few times now, experimenting a little each time until I came to this piece of perfection. I started this off with a base recipe I picked up in one of those huge Instant Pot facebook groups, but I’ve changed things up a bit to suit my taste.
I think you’re going to love how this turns out. It’s so creamy and super cheesy. The smoked sausage is divine in here and, in my opinion, switches this over from a side dish to a main dish. Serve with a green salad and you’re good to go.
Pressure Cooker Mac and Cheese with Smoked Sausage
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound macaroni, uncooked
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar, grated
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack, grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Set the Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker to saute on high. Heat the oil in the pot.
- Slice the smoked sausage into 1/4 inch rounds and place in the pot, cooking until browned on each. Remove sausage from the pot and set aside.
- Add the macaroni, water, mustard powder, salt, and pepper to the pot.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and set to sealing.
- Cook on manual pressure for 3 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Turn the pressure cooker to saute and stir in the evaporate milk.
- Stir in the cheese, one handful at a time, until it's all melted and combined.
- Stir the sausage into the macaroni and cheese, top with parsley, and serve.