This easy crostata is bursting with fresh strawberries. It’s a perfect spring treat!
The other day I was browsing Foodgawker trying to decide what to make for Father’s Day dinner and I came across a gorgeous picture for a Strawberry Crostata and knew that I had found my dessert. I don’t make a lot of fruit desserts or pies, so I wasn’t sure what to expect out of this, but I needn’t have worried. This turned out delicious and nobody even knew that I used a store bought pie crust. Until now. Darn it.
Let’s make this, shall we?
First things first, hull and slice 1 1/2 pounds of ripe, juicy strawberries. Sprinkle them with two tablespoons of sugar (or a bit more if your berries are very tart) and try your best not to eat them all. I had to slap myself on the hand a few times. I love strawberries sprinkled with sugar.
Grab 8 ounces of softened cream cheese and mix it up with 2 tablespoons of flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and 1 tablespoon of vanilla.
Now, either make a pie crust or buy it in a box at the grocery store. Pillsbury makes a mean pie crust, if you’re feeling intimidated or lazy.
Lay your pie crust flat on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using an off-set spatula, spread the cream cheese mixture all over the pie crust leaving a one inch border around the edges.
Pile your strawberries on top.
You’ll have quite a pile of berries, but they’ll bake down. Don’t be afraid.
Work your way around the crust and fold the edges over about every inch or so. It doesn’t have to be perfect.
Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. The crust should be a gorgeous light golden color, the strawberries should cook down, and the juices should be oozing.
Excuse me, I think I need to go eat another piece of this right now.
- 1 1/2 pounds strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar, for sprinkling (or more, to taste)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 pie crust, store bough or homemade
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Hull and slice strawberries. Sprinkle with sugar and set aside.
- Mix together cream cheese, flour, sugar and vanilla.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper and place the pie crust on the parchment paper. Using an off-set spatula, spread the cream cheese mixture on the pie crust leaving a one inch border around the edge. Pile the strawberries on top of the cream cheese mixture. Work your way around the pie crust folding the edges up every one inch or so.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool and serve at room temperature or slightly warm.
Adapted from Salt and Chocolate