This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Sargento. All opinions are 100% mine.
This Mexican quinoa recipe is a perfect weeknight dinner. It comes together in around 30 minutes and is flavored with a roasted tomatillo salsa, juicy chicken, and lots of cheese.
Breaking news, y’all.
My children just ate green food. On purpose. With a smile. Like the little kids in the movies do. I always wonder how they get those kids in the movies to eat their vegetables with a smile. It must be some kind of sorcery.
Anyway! I made this crazy town green quinoa and my kids gobbled it down. The greenness comes from my roasted tomatillo salsa that I like to bathe in. It’s good stuff. You can use a jarred sasla verde, but my version is better. Sorry, but it is. It only takes about 20 minutes to make, so no worries.
There is also bits of chicken, diced avocados and tomatoes, and of course cheeeeeeeese. If you’re a smarty pants like me you keep bags of shredded chicken in the freezer for dinners like this!
The folks at Sargento Shredded Cheese asked me to come up with something cheesy and delicious for you guys and here I am. With something cheesy and delicious. Job well done, someone pat me on the back.
I used their Off the Block 4 Cheese Mexican blend. It’s finely shredded, all natural real cheese. I love Sargento and I knew when I saw the Mexican blend that I’d be making a cheesy, Mexican-ified casserole. That’s just what I do.
Get more delicious & cheesy recipes by following Sargento on Pinterest and be sure to check out Sargento on Facebook! Don’t forget to enter Sargento’s Facebook contest and you could win $2000 and a year’s supply of shredded cheese!
The salsa verde in this recipe adds such an amazing tangy flavor to the quinoa. Of course, the whole recipe is super filling because quinoa is like magic and it fills your belly up right quick. If you’re a vegetarian, you could totally swap out the chicken for some black beans.
Also, go ahead and add in some extra vegetables if you’d like! I have a sneaking suspicion that little bits of sweet potato would be divine in this.
So, step away from the computer. Head to the kitchen. Make some green food that your kids will enjoy. You’ll earn extra double bonus points if you double this recipe and freeze the second half just before baking. I mean, that’s just smart cookin’.
Salsa Verde Chicken Quinoa
- 2 cups quinoa rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 2 cups cooked chicken diced or shredded
- 2 cups Sargento 4 Cheese Mexican shredded cheese
- Avocados, tomatoes, cilantro for serving
- Bring the chicken stock and quinoa to a boil in a large sauce pan. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Stir the salsa verde, chicken, and 1 cup of the cheese into the quinoa until well combined. Spread into a 2 quart baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Serve topped with diced avocadoes, tomatoes, and cilantro if desired.