I think my kids are actually older than I am. Like, retirement age maybe?
They are constantly asking to go to dinner at restaurants that are known for their senior specials. And, don’t get me wrong, I love a good senior special. The seniors tend to know good food when they see it.
But, come on kids. I can not eat dinner at 4pm every day. And yes, that meatloaf with gravy is delicious, but it’s not everyday fare unless you’re my grandma.
So, anyway, at one such restaurant, they are always serving banana bread before the meal. It’s divine. My kids go crazy and fight for the bread and I really don’t blame them. Sometimes I get in on the fight action. I’m only human.
Because of the kiddos fierce love for banana bread (This hot fudge fluffernutter banana bread is always a hit. As is my triple chocolate banana bread!), I make it quite a bit. Every now and then I run out of ripe bananas and have to find something else to experiment with.
When ZICO reached out and asked me to come up with a recipe using their ZICO Chilled Coconut Water and Orange Juice Blend, I jumped all over it. I knew that a coconut orange quick bread would be an instant hit in my family and I bet it will be in yours, too! Forget the bananas – we’re making coconut orange bread!
I love using ZICO chilled juices, because they’re the best of both worlds – the taste of refreshing juice with all benefits of coconut water – and 45% less calories than regular OJ, no added sugar, artificial flavors or preservatives!
At the last minute I decided to toss in a handful of raspberries, just because raspberries make everything better. If you disagree with that statement, you can leave them out or swap in some blueberries in their place. Macadamia nuts would also be a good addition!
Of course, quick bread is just fine on it’s own, but I went ahead and added a crunchy coconut streusel topping. My kids like to eat the bread first and save the streusel for last, because it’s their favorite part. Can’t say that I blame them a bit!
[Tweet “This bread is super moist and just full of that bright, orange flavor we all love! @ZICOcoconut”]
This bread is super moist and just full of that bright, orange flavor we all love! There are just enough raspberries to give you a surprising little burst of tartness every few bites. And that coconut topping? Well, I already said all I need to say about that.
Raspberry Coconut Orange Quickbread
For the bread:
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup ZICO Chilled Orange Juice Blend
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
For the streusel:
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter cubed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until creamy.
- Stir in the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the orange zest, vanilla, and juice until well combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir into the wet mixture until just combined. Batter will be very thick.
- Fold the raspberries into the batter. The berries will break as you stir them in.
- Spoon batter into a greased 9x5 loaf pan.
- To make the streusel, combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and use your hands to rub the butter into the dry ingredients. When chunky and well mixed, sprinkle over the bread.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 20 minutes before removing from the loaf pan. Cool completely before cutting.