Mesquite grilled pork, peppers, and onions are paired with barbecue sauce and pineapple coleslaw in this simple summer wrap that makes a great lunch or dinner. Big thanks to Smithfield for sponsoring this post. As always, all opinions are my own.
All of my life, my husband has worked, worked, worked. He has a traditional job working for a company where he gets a set number of vacation hours per year.
I, on the other hand, am my own boss. I mean, I still work work work, but I also take time off to travel or lounge in the pool or watch Grey’s Anatomy for the 300th time.
This means that travelling gets to be my hobby and he often has to stay behind in his office while I go gallivanting around the world.
My son turned 18 years old a couple months ago (how did this happen, I do not understand) and for his birthday, the husband and I gifted him a trip to DC with his dad.
I’m at home. The boys are in Washington, DC.
I literally do not know how my husband did not die of jealousy every time I set off on a trip and left him behind. He never even complained about it once.
I, on the other hand, have called him multiple times a day to let him know that I’m just catching up on laundry, just washing the dishes, getting those toilets scrubbed, weeded the garden, etc. You know. Just to remind him that life is still going on at home while he’s off having the time of his life.
I’m a delight. Obviously. You wish I was your wife, don’t you?
Anyway, that has nothing to do with anything other than that I’m kind of obnoxious and also super jealous right now. Take me with youuuuuu!
Before the boys left, we grilled out and I was sure to make them their favorite food – pork. Both of ’em are straight up obsessed with pork and would probably eat it every day if I cooked it.
This time around, it was hot out, we’d been outside all day, and we wanted something quick, easy, and fairly light. Sandwiches and wraps are always the answer to that, so here we are!
I went for a mesquite bbq pork situation and wow, this one was tasty.
I started with a Smithfield Slow Smoked Mesquite Marinated Fresh Pork Loin Filet. I love starting with a Smithfield’s marinated fresh pork, because the prep work is done for you.
You can have a tasty dinner ready in 30 minutes or less by slicing or dicing the pork into smaller pieces so they cook quickly. Plus, Smithfield’s fresh pork is 100% fresh pork with no artificial ingredients and it’s packed with protein.
Today, I’ve chopped the pork into bite sized chunks, each about 1/2 inch thick. I also chopped up some bell pepepers and onion into bite-sized pieces.
All of those goodies get tossed into a couple of grill baskets and popped on a hot grill. Stir things around a few times during cooking, but otherwise, this is pretty hands off.
This whole sandwich wrap takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish and it tastes like summer in a sandwich.
The smoky pork pairs so well with the sweet pineapple coleslaw!
Mesquite Pork and Pineapple Slaw Wraps
- 1 Smithfield Slow Smoked Mesquite Marinated Fresh Pork Loin Filet
- 2 bell peppers any color
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon prepared Italian dressing
- 8 sandwich wraps
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 recipe pineapple coleslaw see below
- Heat a grill over medium-high heat. Spray two grill baskets with non-stick spray.
- Chop the pork into bite-sized pieces and place in one grill basket.
- Chop the peppers and onions into bite-sized pieces and toss with the prepared Italian salad dressing. Add to the second grill basket.
- Grill the pork and vegetables, stirring occasionally, until the pork is cooked through and the vegetables are soft and lightly charred, about 10 minutes.
- Divide the pork and vegetables between the sandwich wraps and drizzle with the barbecue sauce.
- Spoon the coleslaw over the pork and roll up the sandwich wrap. Serve immediately.
- 20 ounces pineapple
- 16 ounces coleslaw mix
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- Chop the pineapple into small pieces and drain well.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir well to combine.
- Serve immediately.