This chili cheese tater tot casserole recipe is what dreams are made of! My whole family loves when I serve this for dinner and I love how simple it is to toss together on busy weeknights.
You guys ready to hear my deepest and darkest secret? The one that I never share with anyone ever, unless they ask nicely?
It’s my super secret chili recipe. I’m not sure you guys can handle it, but I put that super secret chili in this over the top chili cheese tater tot casserole, so brace yourselves.
I mean, let’s talk about the casserole for a minute before I tell you abut the chili. This is like chili cheese fries that you get to call dinner. It’s like that casserole your mom used to make for you in the 80s, but about a million times better. You’re going to fall head over heels in love with this one!
Alright, so anyway. The chili recipe. I’ve stalled long enough.
Every time I make chili, I get tons and tons of compliments on it. People are always asking for the recipe.
Aaaaaand that’s when I’m forced to tell them that I just follow the directions on the little packet of chili seasoning mix. <—- That’s it. That’s the recipe.
Anyway, go grab your tater tots. Your whole family is going to flip for this dinner.
Chili Cheese Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 bell pepper diced
- 1 packet chili seasoning
- 8 ounces tomato sauce 1 can
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes 1 can
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 28 ounces frozen tater tots 1 bag
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1. Brown the beef, onions, and pepper in a large, deep skillet over medium heat, breaking it up as it cooks. When the meat is cooked through, drain and return to pan.
- 2. Stir in the seasoning packet, tomato sauce, and the can of diced tomatoes (do not drain). Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. While chili is cooking, preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 3. Stir in the sour cream and remove from the heat.
- 4. Pour chili into a 13x9 baking dish and top with the cheddar cheese.
- 5. Place tater tots in an even layer over the chili and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- 6. Bake for 25 minutes or until tots are as crisp as you'd like. Remove from oven and serve immediately.