Chocolate Pound Cake
This chocolate bundt cake is rich, velvety, dense, and basically what every chocolate pound cake dreams of being!
It’s Monday, y’all. Which means that I’m crying into a cup of coffee and wondering why the weekend isn’t just a day or two longer each week.
That’s a lie, actually. I’m one of those weirdos who doesn’t drink coffee. It makes me all jittery and insane. I do eat pumpkin coffee cake though, so there’s that.
We had a good weekend. My husband’s cousin was married and the wedding was beautiful.
My husband asked our daughter to dance and they slow danced for a song while I sat and melted from the cuteness of it all.
My son drank 33 glasses of Dr. Pepper while I gave him the evil eye. We have a rule at home – if there is soda in the house, he can have one per day. That rule goes right out the window when we’re out and about, which is usually fine at a restaurant because how many refills can you get over the course of a meal? It’ a little different when you’re at a wedding reception for hours. Do you have similar rules or am I crazy? My son is 15. Sometimes I feel like I should lay off, other times I feel like he’d drink nothing but Dr. Pepper.
Anyway, all of that has nothing to do with this chocolate bundt cake. It is divine, you guys. Rich, dense, almost a little fudgy in texture. It’s everything I dream about a chocolate pound cake being.
I’m usually pretty scared of making bundt cakes, because sometimes they stick. I’ve been having good luck with this bundt pan. I love that it can fit 10 to 15 cups of batter in it, so you pretty much never need another bundt pan. It also has over 1,000 5 star reviews and ZERO reviews less than 4 stars. It’s a good pan.
I spray the heck out of it with some baking spray. Make sure you really get it alllllll over the pan. Here’s a link to what I use, but I recommend just purchasing this one at Walmart.
Chocolate Pound Cake
- 1 1/2 cups butter, room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Liberally grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well combined. Stir in the vanilla.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, espresso powder, and baking powder.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture, alternately with the buttermilk, until combined.
- Bake for 70 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 20 minutes before turning out onto a cake plate to cool completely.
- To prepare the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla. When smooth, drizzle over the cake.