Cinnamon Roll Stuffed Blondies
Hello, my lovelies. Are you ready for another ridiculous blondie recipe? This one comes from Hayley (also known as The Domestic Rebel). I love Hayley, not just because she makes ridiculous things like these Reese’s Fluffernutter Bars (she has a serious collection of bar recipes on her site!), but because she also remembers to text me when it’s time for Pretty Little Liars to come on TV. And then I start panicking, because I probably forgot to set the DVR and HOW WILL I SURVIVE? In short, Hayley feeds my bad TV addiction and helps me continue living.
Hi guys! I’m Hayley aka The Domestic Rebel and I’m SOOO excited to be posting for Karly today! Karly and I became BFFs recently when our love for butter, her Chicken Tamale Casserole, and sarcasm connected us all magical-like. And I get to meet her this year, so be super jealous (really, I’m hoping she’ll like me. And that she’ll bring me some of THESE because friends do that, right??)
Anyways. Today we’re talking diet resolutions. Wait–diet resolutions? What diet resolutions?
Sorry. That was a really bad joke.
Anywho. As you’re well aware, New Year’s has come and gone and now we’re amongst 2013 which feels kinda taboo since we were like, supposed to all magically die or something on the 21st last year. How anti-climatic, amiriiiite?
I thought I’d wake up on January 1st and feel all refreshed and positive and shiny and new, but I had a headache and didn’t feel any more magical despite the remnants of body glitter still lurking on my skin and clothes.
Almost like a hungover fairy. Not very glamorous, y’all.
And then, I realized that even if I wasn’t shiny and fancy and stuff, I still had the chance to start fresh. So I vowed to do what every person and their mother promise themselves on the first: to eat a healthy breakfast of egg whites and fresh fruit and go for a nice, long run. So I headed home, walked in the door and was detoured by the intoxicating aroma of bacon and proceeded to voraciously eat aforementioned bacon. And then watch a movie.
Noooot exactly eating fruit and jogging, but I soon rationalized that since January is my birthday month, it automatically means January = a holiday and therefore, calories do not count. The world works in mysterious ways, man.
So then I got all mad-sciency and decided to combine two of my favorite foods in all the land: cinnamon rolls and blondies. I have to say, it was an experiment of pure brilliance and the magical body glitter may or may not have had a hand in making these fantastical blondies a little more wonderful (I’m going to say yes, body glitter makes everything wonderful but I’m biased).
These blondies are truly amazing. They’re made with dark brown sugar which enhances and deepens that buttery blondie flavor I love so very much. And swirled throughout, they have an aromatic brown sugar & cinnamon ribbon which plays on that quintessentially delicious cinnamon roll filling. And I need to remind you they’re called Cinnamon Roll Stuffed Blondies because, well, they have actual frosted cinnamon rolls baked inside of them.
Mouth = hungry.
Diet = ??
These blondies are OUTRAGEOUS. Dear Blondies, let me count the ways I love you: 1) the cinnamon rolls baked inside. Um, awesome. You can taste them in the bottom of these dense, moist blondies; 2) the frosting on the cinnamon roll seeps into the blondie batter, creating this irresistible sugary crunch inside. Heaven; 3) the brown sugar-cinnamon swirl mimics that gooey center of a cinnamon roll everyone loves. When swirled throughout these chewy, perfectly buttery blondies, it’s like eating a cinnamon roll within a cinnamon roll, thus creating the Inception of desserts. You must try!!
Thanks for having me Karly!!! You guys can come hear more crazy stories or get hopped up on sugar anytime over at The Domestic Rebel!
Cinnamon Roll Stuffed Blondies
- 2/3 cup butter 2 cups dark brown sugar + 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, divided 2 tsp vanilla extract 2 eggs 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 Tbsp + 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided 1/4 tsp baking soda 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp salt 1 pkg (6 roll count) prepared and glazed cinnamon rolls (I used Svenhard's) Glaze (recipe + instructions follow)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8? pan with foil, mist lightly with cooking spray. Open the package of cinnamon rolls and place them two-by-two in the pan. Set aside.
2. In a deep medium saucepan, melt the butter and TWO CUPS brown sugar together over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5-10 mins.
3. Stir in the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the flour, teaspoon of cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt until a smooth batter forms.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the remaining Tablespoon of cinnamon and 1/2 cup brown sugar with a spoon.
4. Pour half the mixture into the prepared pan on top of the cinnamon rolls, covering as much as you can with the batter. Top liberally with the brown sugar cinnamon mixture and then with the remaining batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly golden and center is just set. Cool in the pan completely before cutting into bars.
5. To make a simple glaze, in a small bowl, whisk together a cup of powdered sugar, a dash of vanilla and about 1 Tbsp milk or heavy cream until a thick glaze comes together. Glaze over the tops of the cooled blondies. These blondies keep, at room temperature, for a couple days when stored airtight.