Corn Casserole with Bacon and Cream Cheese
This is a compensated review by BlogHer and Kraft.
Butter. Bacon. Cheese. You can pretty much always find those three things in my fridge. In abundance.
A quick view of my fridge right now would show you 3 pounds of butter, 2 1/2 pounds of bacon, and 5 packages of PHILADELPHIA brand cream cheese. And, yeah, quite a few other cheeses too.
I just can’t help myself. I’m a cheese fiend.
You can imagine my delight when I was contacted to create four original recipes using PHILADELPHIA brand Cream Cheese. I screamed, I shouted, I danced, I ate a bar of cream cheese straight from the package using only my fingers!
Okay, no, I didn’t…but only because my husband was around and he would have judged me.
For the first dish, a side dish, I came up with this super creamy, sweet, tangy, smokey corn casserole. I just love this dish.
Bacon, of course, is a key ingredient here. It gives this such a nice, smokey flavor that works perfectly with the tangy cream cheese. The corn is sweet, and the cracker crumbs balance out the sweetness with a bit of salt. I just know y’all will love this dish!
Don’t freak out or anything, but I’m going to go ahead and include an onion in the ingredients list, because that would be downright delicious. My husband would divorce me and my kids would run off and join the circus if I put an onion in their beloved corn, though. Brats. All of ’em! If you’re a brat, too, go ahead and forget the onion.
You know how I hate to boss you all around, but I’m going to do it anyway: Get in the kitchen and make this. Immediately!
But, before you do, go check out the Real Women of Philly website. I’m assuming that you all read my little blog because you enjoy cooking. If that’s the case, my oh my, is Philly ever hosting a contest for you. Create a dish, submit a video of you making said dish, and then cross your fingers and toes, because you just may win a trip to visit with Paula Deen (*swoon*), contribute to a cookbook and national food magazines, and oh yeah, $25,000 DOLLARS.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 15 ounce can corn kernels, drained
- 1 15 ounce can cream corn
- 4 ounces softened PHILADELPHIA brand cream cheese
- 4 ounces (one sleeve) low-sodium Saltine crackers
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fry your bacon in a medium skillet until nice and crispy. Remove the bacon to drain on a towel-lined plate. Place your diced onion in the skillet with the bacon grease and cook until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Place the Satline crackers in a large ziplock baggy and smash them into small crumbs.
- Add the bacon, onions, both cans of corn, PHILADELPHIA brand cream cheese, saltine crumbs, eggs, milk, and cayenne to a mixing bowl and stir until well combined. Pour into a 2 quart buttered baking dish and sprinkle paprika on the top.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the center is mostly set and the the top is starting to brown.
Visit the Exclusive Offers section on Blogher.com.