Good Ol’ Homemade Brownies
This homemade brownie recipe will change your life! No more box mixes, because these are seriously the best homemade brownies you’ll ever try. My whole family begs for them!
This may be a cooking blog, but I find myself sharing some of my deepest, darkest secrets (never having tried oatmeal before, for instance) here. So far you all have accepted me and all the horrible things I’ve kept hidden for years and years. I can only hope that you will continue to stand by my side as I reveal this next bit of private information about myself.
I prefer my brownies to be made from a box mix.
Homemade brownies from scratch that are actually better than a box mix!
I’m sorry, okay? It’s just who I am and I have to be me. Writing a cooking blog isn’t going to change who I am. It just won’t, okay?
Except, well, I’ve recently discovered a brownie recipe so beautiful and delicious and rich and fudgy and chocolatey and oh goodness, I should just go ahead and admit it. I’m over the box mix brownies. No more, I say! No more!
Just go ahead and scroll back up there and look at those brownies! So full of chocolate! So gooey! So fudgy and scrumptious!
This recipe starts out by melting butter and sugar together in a sauce pan, and I know, there are lots of one bowl brownie recipes out there, but these guys are worth the extra dirty dish. Especially if your kids are your dish washers.
You’ll need to prepare yourself for this next part. You’re going to dump the cocoa powder into the sugar and butter. You’ll want to shove your entire face into your mixing bowl, but don’t do it. The butter is still hot and if you eat it all, we won’t have brownies!
Alright, so one lick won’t hurt anyone.
This homemade brownie recipe is the ultimate in chewy, fudgy, thick chocolate brownies!
Look! Brownie batter bokeh! Yet another reason to love these brownies!
After you’ve mixed in the remaining ingredients, pour the batter into a buttered 9×13 pan and bake for about 30 minutes. What comes out of the oven is this amazingly delicious chunk of gooey, warm, melty chocolate. Let it cool and then slice and devour!
Give these easy homemade brownies a try and let me know what you think!
Good Ol' Homemade Brownies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9x13 baking dish.
- In small saucepan over low heat, melt butter completely. Stir in sugar and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Do not allow sugar mixture to boil.
- Pour butter mixture into a large bowl or stand mixer, beat in cocoa powder, eggs, salt, baking powder, espresso powder, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Stir in the flour and chocolate chips until well combined.
- Spread into prepared pan (batter will be very thick and sticky) and bake for about 30 minutes, until a tester comes out mostly clean.
- The edges should be set and the center should still look slightly moist, but not uncooked. Cool on a wire rack.
Looking for ways to doctor up these brownies for something a little different?
Brookies! A mix of chocolate chip cookies and brownies!
Dulce de Leche Brownies. Gooey caramel puts these brownies over the top!
Cookie Dough Brownies. Brownies topped with raw, egg-free cookie dough! So decadent!
Buckeye Brownies. Brownie base, peanut butter layer, and a chocolate ganache topping. Get in my face.
Nutella Brownies. Super fudgy, with three types of chocolate – Nutella, chocolate chips, and cocoa!