Lomo Saltado is a traditional Peruvian stir-fry consisting of steak, veggies, and french fries! You’re going to love this quick dinner. Big thanks to Prom Peru for sponsoring this post.
Alright, friends, I’m here with something a little different today!
I’m venturing outside of my casserole comfort zone and even stepping out of my (completely Americanized) Mexican food love, to bring you a traditional Peruvian dish. You’re going to flip for this one. Just WAIT until you get a load of this recipe.
Lomo Saltado is basically a steak stir-fry that is served over rice with…wait for it…French fries.
I can’t even.
Now, because I’ve never actually had authentic Peruvian food, I left this recipe to the experts and just made it in my home, photographed it, and am sharing it here. I didn’t make a bunch of tweaks or try to start from scratch, because I really wanted this to be authentic! Most lomo saltado recipes include aji amarillo chili peppers and this one did not. I did add in a few peppers to make up for that. Feel free to do your own thing with this one! It’ll be delicious either way!
So, why did I suddenly decide to share a dish from Peru with you? Glad you asked!
I’ve teamed up with the folks behind Meet Me at Mistura, a sweepstakes with a grand prize of a 9 day culinary trip for two to Peru! You’ll have the opportunity to attend Mistura, the largest food festival in South America. Tell me you’re not interested in THAT trip!
You’ll visit Lima, Cusco, Machu Picchu and Aguas Claientes while sampling incredible Peruvian meals! The only catch is that if you win, you have to take me as your guest! Just kidding. Kind of.
You’ll get to participate in a cooking demonstration in Cusco, board the Vistadome Train for the ride through the Sacred Valley of Urubamba to the “Lost City of the Incas,” Machu Picchu, and just generally get a chance to explore all of the beauty of Peru and it’s cities.
If you haven’t entered yet, here’s your last chance! CLICK TO ENTER TO WIN THIS TRIP!
- 12 ounces thin sliced ribeye steak
- 1/2 teaspooon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 poblano pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tomato
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/3 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup freshly fried French fries, for serving
- 2 cups cooked white rice, for serving
- Slice the steak into thin strips and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat. Add the steak and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned.
- While steak is cooking, slice the peppers, onion, and tomato into thin slices.
- Add the vegetables to the pan with the steak and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the soy sauce and beef broth to the pan and stir well. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve over rice with french fries.