A Change of Plans

Yo yo yo.

Can I still say that? I’m 30 years old and it’s 2012, so…probably not. Pretend that didn’t happen, mkay?

I have some serious business to discuss with y’all today.

You might remember that I was planning on going to Nicaragua in January. Well, my plans have changed, unfortunately, and I thought I’d get all explainy.

So, refresh my memory. You were going to Nicaragua because why?

I was going to Nicaragua to work with an amazing organization, Empowerment International. They run a school for children living in the barios (the slums). This school has a photography program that gets the kids excited about attending and gives them a creative outlet. I had planned to head down to Nicaragua and work alongside Empowerment International teaching the children photography.

Sounds awesome! But, um, why aren’t you going now?

It does sound awesome and I’m super sad that I’m not going to be able to make it. The thing is, my baby brother is having some serious medical issues. (And 26 years old is still a baby to me, since I’m all old and in my 30s now.) Without getting into too much detail (after all, I’m sure that if he wanted the world to know his life story, he’d start his own blog), some issues cropped up a bit before Thanksgiving. We all believed he’d just magically get better or that one of the many doctors he visited would figure out what was going on and fix him. He’s been getting steadily worse and the doctors and specialists he’s seen have no idea what is happening. We’ve actually had doctors shrugging their shoulders, which is not a super inspiring or comforting sight. As you can imagine, this has been extremely difficult for my family. My parents watch their child writhing in pain day in and day out with no end in sight and we all sit back and feel helpless. We’re not sure how he’ll be doing when when I’d be scheduled to go to Nicaragua, so I’ve decided it would be best to just stay close to home for the time being.

What about the money I donated?

You guys seriously brightened my world a little bit each time a donation came through. No matter how small or large, I was beyond grateful. That money went directly to Empowerment International and that’s where it will stay whether I go to Nicaragua or not.  That said, I completely understand if you were donating money for ME to go to Nicaragua. Now that this trip isn’t happening, I would be happy to refund you the money that you donated from my own pocket. I’ll be sending out an email to each and every one of you who donated with an offer to send you the same amount you donated. I don’t want anyone to feel taken advantage of or like I’ve tricked you as that was not my intention in any way.

Is there anything I can do to help?

Well, aren’t you sweet for asking! And, as a matter of fact, there is. We would love your prayers and healing vibes for my brother right about now. He is having a very difficult time and it would mean the world to my family if you would take a minute and say a prayer for him.

Sounds good. Are you done talking my ear off now?

Well, one last thing. I had asked some amazing bloggers to stop by and share recipes with y’all while I was in Nicaragua from January 6-12. They worked really hard to come up with some ridiculously yummy recipes, so I plan to (mostly) take that week off to spend with my family while they share their treats with you. Otherwise, things should be moving along as normal from here on out.

Oh, and by the way? 2013 is going to be an awesome year here on Buns In My Oven. I can’t wait to reveal all of the fun things coming your way.

That’s all I got. Over and out.

Updated: I’ve sent out emails to everyone who donated. If you did NOT get one, please shoot me an email at karly@bunsinmyoven.com or check your spam folder. Thank you!

23 Responses to “A Change of Plans”

1. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust December 19, 2012 @ 3:46 pm (#

I am so sorry for your brother’s health issues. I’m sending love and hugs to you and your family!

2. Averie @ Averie Cooks December 19, 2012 @ 3:55 pm (#

Karly I am so sorry to hear about your brother’s health and the whole situation sounds un-nerving and I dont blame you for wanting to stay closer to home at a time like this. And you all are in my thoughts and good vibes and hugs!

3. Aimee @ ShugarySweets December 19, 2012 @ 5:14 pm (#

Karly, I’m so sorry to hear about your brother’s health. I know how hard it is to deal with a sick family member. I will keep him in my prayers for sure! I sure hope they figure out what’s going on, and soon!!!

4. Melissa December 19, 2012 @ 7:06 pm (#

I’m so sorry about your brother. Prayers to you & all your family.

5. Misti O. December 19, 2012 @ 7:10 pm (#

Prayers for your brother, your family, for wisdom for the dr’s. I still believe that God is in the miracle business & I’m praying for a Christmas miracle for your family! (((HUGS)))

6. Joanne December 19, 2012 @ 7:31 pm (#

Girl I am SO SO SO sorry to hear this. If you EVER need someone to talk to. EVER. Then feel free. Also, being in medical school I have quite a few connections at some top NYC hospitals and if you want me to ask around for any advice/input I totally will!

7. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen December 19, 2012 @ 7:32 pm (#

Karly I am praying for you and your family. What a nightmare.

8. Bailey @ Bailey Bakes December 19, 2012 @ 7:32 pm (#

I’m so sorry to hear about your brother. I hope they figure it out soon. My prayers are with you and your family!

9. Janet Powell December 19, 2012 @ 7:34 pm (#

Prayers going up for your brother and your whole family as you all deal with his health issues. May the Spirit of Christmas add a special bonus to these prayers.

10. Kathy Faberge December 19, 2012 @ 7:57 pm (#

Sorry to hear about your brother’s health issues. Will keep him and your whole family in my prayers.

11. Sharon Watrous December 19, 2012 @ 8:06 pm (#

Blessings and Healing thoughts go out to your brother and your family.

12. Kelly Miller December 19, 2012 @ 8:28 pm (#

I’m so sorry that you cant make your trip but more importantly I’m so sorry about your brother’s medical problems. My prayers and good “vibes”, and I live in California so I know from vibes, go out to you and your family.

(((((Kelly)))

13. Olivia @ Liv Lives Life December 19, 2012 @ 9:10 pm (#

I’m so sorry to hear about your family’s struggles. You’re in my thoughts and prayers.

14. Ashton @ Something Swanky December 19, 2012 @ 11:14 pm (#

Prayers and good thoughts coming your way :) Chin up!

15. GLORIA RICHARDS December 20, 2012 @ 1:43 am (#

So sorry that your brother is ill. Definitely sending lots of prayers and positive energy for healing. It’s sad that you aren’t going to have a chance to do what you were looking forward to but I’ve always found that things work out the way they are suppose to. You may be surprised at what comes up for you. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers and wishing you all a blessed Christmas and New Year . <3

16. Jan December 20, 2012 @ 3:25 am (#

I hope and pray that your brother will be feeling better soon. I’ve been praying for my daughter she was in alot of pain today also. Finding out the test results today. Hugs and Prayers to you and your family and try to have a very happy holiday!

17. Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings December 20, 2012 @ 8:01 am (#

thoughts are with your brother and your family!!!

18. DessertForTwo December 20, 2012 @ 8:10 am (#

Sending love & prayers to you. xo

19. Karen Ulrich December 20, 2012 @ 10:40 am (#

Sending strenght and thoughts your way.

20. Leslie December 20, 2012 @ 4:06 pm (#

Karly, I’m so sorry. I’m thinking of you all.

21. Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen December 20, 2012 @ 11:25 pm (#

I’m so sorry to hear about your brother! It must be very hard to not have any answers…

22. JulieD December 31, 2012 @ 5:57 pm (#

Thinking of you and your family – I hope you and your family can find out answers for your brother. xoxo

23. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life January 2, 2013 @ 9:00 am (#

Your brother and your family is in my thoughts and prayers. I hope they are able to answer those health issues quickly!!!