Two Ingredient Caramel Ice Cream – No Ice Cream Machine Required!

So, I sorta outdid myself here.

Yes, I’m patting myself on the back.

No, I don’t think that’s odd.

I made ice cream. From two ingredients. Without an ice cream machine.

I’ve seen Shelly mention that you can make ice cream from a pint of cream and a can of condensed milk, but when I went to my pantry I was out of condensed milk. Sad face!

What I did have, however, was a can of  dulce de leche.

Um, dulce de leche is just cooked sweetened condensed milk, right?

Let the experimenting begin!

I was so excited to pull this ice cream from my freezer and dig in!

You should probably go pop all this into your blender or KitchenAid (instructions for both below…you can even use a handheld mixer!), wait a few hours for it to freeze, sprinkle on a little sea salt, and then go to town. And, to be clear, by “go to town” I actually mean “take a bath in this stuff and then suck it up with a straw.”

I used my Blendtec for this recipe and was amazed at how quickly it whipped the cream. If you’re in the market for a ridiculous blender that will blend ridiculous things like iPhones and skeletons (This is the preferred blender of serial killers! Kidding! Don’t tell Blendtec I said that.), you should check back by next Friday. I’ll be telling you all the things I love about mine and giving one away. (Say it with me now: Squeeeeeeeeeee!)

PrintPrintSaveSave

Two Ingredient Caramel Ice Cream

Ingredients:

1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 14 ounce can dulce de leche (make your own or purchase it in the ethnic foods aisle at your grocery store)
sea salt, optional

Directions:

If using a blender:
Place the whipping cream in the blender and blend until you have whipped cream. On my blendtec this takes about 20 seconds.
Scrape the dulce de leche into the whipped cream and blend for another 30 seconds or until well combined.
You will have a frothy golden liquid. Take a sip. Now, take another. Okay, now put it in a freezer safe dish and freeze for 6 hours or until frozen. Sprinkle with salt before serving.
To make this with a stand mixer or handheld mixer:
Place the whipping cream in a bowl and beat until you have soft peaks. With the mixer still on, drop in globs of the dulce de leche until the entire can has been added to the mixture.
Pour the mixture into a freezer safe dish and freeze for 6 hours or until frozen solid. Sprinkle with salt before serving.

27 Responses to “Two Ingredient Caramel Ice Cream – No Ice Cream Machine Required!”

1. Sarakate October 19, 2012 @ 8:59 am (#

Oh. My. God. I need to go home and make this now.

2. Jessica October 19, 2012 @ 9:00 am (#

You are a genius! I have to try this!!

3. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel October 19, 2012 @ 9:16 am (#

What just happened? This is the sexiest thing to happen to my eyeballs in months.

Karly Reply:

@Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel,

I don’t even know. I’m still in shock that this worked.

4. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie October 19, 2012 @ 10:07 am (#

This looks so amazing! I love simple ice cream recipes :)

5. Sara October 19, 2012 @ 10:28 am (#

I wonder what would happen if you put this in an ice cream maker??? I may try it that way, just to see what happens. :) Also, about how much ice cream does this make – a pint, a quart…?

6. Averie @ Averie Cooks October 19, 2012 @ 10:31 am (#

Two ingredients and no ice cream maker needed. This isn’t dangerous at all, no, not at all :)

7. Natalie October 19, 2012 @ 10:33 am (#

Ohhhhh. I want to try this! You’re giving one away, too? I’ve been practically begging Blendtec to let me give one away, but they just ignore me. I’m obviously not as cool as you are. :)

8. Joanne October 19, 2012 @ 2:02 pm (#

You have made my life so dangerous right now it’s not even funny. My poor thighs.

9. Heather @French Press October 19, 2012 @ 5:58 pm (#

Oh holy YUM!

10. sharleen solares October 19, 2012 @ 6:45 pm (#

i love the dos xx man hahahahah!!

11. DessertForTwo October 20, 2012 @ 1:17 pm (#

Yes! Yes! YES! :)

12. Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen October 20, 2012 @ 2:55 pm (#

Wow! I love how easy this is. I have an ice cream maker and love using it, but sometimes you just need ice cream NOW!

13. Michelle October 21, 2012 @ 3:34 pm (#

I think you did a bad thing here!!!! If I had some whipping cream on hand I would probably make this ASAP. I love making dulce de leche ice cream, but this one look so easy. I’m excited!! Lol. Will have to try this next time I get some cream!!!!!

14. Elizabeth @Food Ramblings October 22, 2012 @ 10:20 am (#

Wow- impressive experiment!

15. Amy Cooper October 22, 2012 @ 12:48 pm (#

Oh wow! I am going to have to try this! My daughter will be in heaven!!

16. Roger October 24, 2012 @ 6:55 pm (#

This looks great you have to wonder what else you could add to the whipped cream before you freeze it.

17. Javelin Warrior October 25, 2012 @ 10:09 pm (#

Bravo on the achievement! 2 ingredients and what an ice cream! I love that it’s possible to make it without an ice cream maker and the color is just incredible… I’m featuring this post as part of Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution) and thanks for making me drool!

18. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust October 26, 2012 @ 8:43 pm (#

1. You’re a genius. 2. I need to make this. 3. THE BLENDER WHIPS THE CREAM? !!!!

19. Karen October 27, 2012 @ 7:28 am (#

BOOKMARKED to make, as I DO so love two ingredient ice creams and also easy ones! Karen

20. Leah November 4, 2012 @ 6:52 pm (#

Wowza!! and yummmmmmm-o!! Can’t wait to try this later in the week. Thank you!

21. Michelle November 9, 2012 @ 5:49 am (#

Ok, I’ve made this TWICE since seeing it; it is SO delsh! I love Dulce de Leche, DDL ice cream and making homemade ice cream. The kids “helped”. I’m about to put it on my blog- so happy about how it turned out! Now I wonder if this idea would work with 1 pint of cream combined with hot (cooled, lol) fudge to make chocolate ice cream?! Or Nutella! Or peanut butter!

Karly Reply:

@Michelle,

Yay! Glad you love it!

I think the condensed milk is part of the magic, but adding hot fudge or peanut butter to the cream AND condensed milk would work great! Did you see my pumpkin pie version? Same idea, different add-ins. :)

Michelle Reply:

Yes, you are right that the sweetened condensed milk must be part of the magic. I did see your pumpkin pie one and was excited, although I just like pumpkin stuff, I don’t love it like others do.

22. CarlyK January 17, 2013 @ 2:39 pm (#

You can make your own Dulce De Leche from a can of sweetened condensed milk, too, as an FYI. Take the wrapper off the can, set it in a pan of water (must cover can completely), and raise temp to boiling, reduce to simmer, and cook for 4 hours. (reference 5 Ingredient Fix on Food Network – recipe it was used in was Banoffee Mess, I think. Banana Toffee Cream Pie). Just add water to cover can as it reduces from cooking off water. I’ve done it and it actually worked! LOL

1. Pingback: Blendtec Giveaway! | Buns In My Oven

2. Pingback: Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream – No Ice Cream Maker Required! | Buns In My Oven