Hot Fudge Covered Strawberry Donut Pudding

When Shelly sent out an email asking a bunch of food bloggers to share a Valentine’s Day recipe all on the same day, I was excited. I like Valentine’s Day! I like recipes! This is perfect for me, I thought.

Then I read the list of email addresses that she sent that little invite out to.

I got scared. There are some amazing bloggers participating in this little V-Day Bake-a-thon.

I asked my husband to help me come up with the best, most fabulously creative, delicious tasting V-Day recipe ever so that I could win.

“What is the prize?” he wanted to know.

Prize? MY PRIDE, for one thing. And for another, there is no prize. The competition only exists in my head. Technically, this was just a little V-Day recipe love fest between bloggers. Friendly, lovey-dovey, all that. In my head, though? VALENTINE’S DAY DEATH MATCH.

Just to be positive that I’d win, I decided to make a Valentine’s Day breakfast recipe instead of a dessert recipe. I was fairly certain that everyone else would enter desserts (fancy, spectacularly decorated desserts) into the fake competition that no one else even knew they were competing in, so if I was the only blogger in the breakfast category, I’d win by default.

I have no problem with winning by default. A win is a win, y’all.

Then I whipped up this Hot Fudge Covered Strawberry Donut Pudding and realized that just because a recipe has donuts in it, that doesn’t necessarily make it a breakfast. I mean, yes, you can snarf this down for breakfast, but a more civilized person would probably call this dessert.

I’m not civilized though, so I win the prize in the Valentine’s Day Bake Off Breakfast category!

So, take THAT, you mean, dirty-fighting food bloggers! I hope you enjoy fighting over first place in the dessert category. Jerks.

And, okay, those other bloggers are actually quite nice, pretty to look at, and really just plain fabulous. You should click around and check out their Valentine’s Day posts, too.

1.  Confessions of a Cook Book Queen  ~ Valentines Twinkies on a Stick

1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup cream
1/4 cup sugar (optional)
hot fudge sauce
strawberry ice cream topping

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a deep dish pie plate.
Cut each donut into 8 pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
In a small mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, and cream until well combined. If you'd like your bread pudding to be a bit sweeter, mix in the sugar. I preferred it without the sugar, but the kids thought it needed the sugar.
Pour the egg mixture over the donut pieces and toss them to thoroughly coat the donuts. Let set for 5 minutes.
Pour the donuts into the prepared pie plate.
Bake for 40 minutes.
Top with warm hot fudge sauce and strawberry ice cream topping.
Serve warm.

41 Responses to “Hot Fudge Covered Strawberry Donut Pudding”

1. Barbara February 6, 2012 @ 7:12 am (#

Wow! That is really a Valentine’s Day winner!
    Really fun to click on everyone’s recipes!

2. shelly (cookies and cups) February 6, 2012 @ 7:18 am (#

Love this. LOVE.

3. Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen February 6, 2012 @ 7:37 am (#

Oh my YUM. These look heavenly!

4. Cookbook Queen February 6, 2012 @ 8:13 am (#

Dude.

Seriously?

If I would have realized this was a deathmatch, I would have done better than dipping some Twinkies in melted candy.

You win because this looks amazing (but keep in mind that you sort of cheated by not giving me fair warning)

Karly Reply:

@Cookbook Queen,

Cheating is totally allowed in fake blogging competitions. Didn’t you read the rules??

5. Maria February 6, 2012 @ 8:15 am (#

What a decadent treat! Love it!

6. Deborah February 6, 2012 @ 8:16 am (#

Isn’t everything a competition? LOVE this -you win!!

Karly Reply:

@Deborah,

Yes! In my head, anyway.

Thank you!

7. Lori @ RecipeGirl February 6, 2012 @ 8:19 am (#

Wow, this is some decadent Valentine’s treat!! Yummy!

8. Debbie February 6, 2012 @ 8:20 am (#

Oh my word. I hope my pancreas is in good working order. Totally prize-worthy breakfast ya got there. And the possibilities for variations are great, too. You can bring this concept back out during pumpkin-spice-all-the-things season! Or do a caramel apple version. Or a chocolate/custard version. Ooh, and it’s almost paczki day too! That’s it. You’ve ruined my concentration for the day. I hope you’re happy.

Karly Reply:

@Debbie,

Yes! So many ways to play with this one. Have fun!

9. bridget {bake at 350} February 6, 2012 @ 8:27 am (#

Haha…anything covered in hot fudge wins. That’s a rule.

Karly Reply:

@bridget {bake at 350},

Whew! I was worried after I saw everyone else’s fab treats. ;)

10. Sweetsugarbelle February 6, 2012 @ 9:12 am (#

You won my heart!!! We get tired of cookies around here! This looks way better!!!

Karly Reply:

@Sweetsugarbelle,

Shall we do a trade? Cookies for donuts?

11. Glory/ Glorious Treats February 6, 2012 @ 10:42 am (#

Karly, you made me laugh so hard!! You SO won the breakfast category!! =) This looks super delicious!!

12. Erin February 6, 2012 @ 11:07 am (#

Oh god yes.

13. heather February 6, 2012 @ 12:17 pm (#

Wow! What an indulgent treat!!

14. Shauna February 6, 2012 @ 12:52 pm (#

Okay, I was cracking up out loud over this post. You are a funny one. And I have to admit I’ve been reading your blog now for awhile and have tried a few of your recipes and they’re out of this world. I tried the banana nutterflutter bread and there are no words really. I’ve never even purchased marshmallow fluff but for that bread I was willing. I love your blog-thanks for the words along with the recipes.

This Valentines recipe is something else. My kids saw it and immediately wanted to make it. We’ll see….if their lucky-Take care,

Shauna

Karly Reply:

@Shauna,

Oh, thank you for the sweet comment Shauna! You made my day!

15. Darla | Bakingdom February 6, 2012 @ 1:01 pm (#

I’m really glad I didn’t make a breakfast…this is too yummy to be beaten! As if donuts weren’t already my Achilles heel, you had to go and make them even more irresistible!

16. Amy February 6, 2012 @ 1:17 pm (#

Donuts, strawberry and chocolate! What a combo! Drooling over here…

17. Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes February 6, 2012 @ 1:23 pm (#

Woah. These look AMAZING!

I love how this recipe incorporates like every single one of my favorite sweet tastes – I can’t wait to give it a try!

Thank you for sharing. Happy Valentine’s!

18. Emily ~So Domesticated~ February 6, 2012 @ 7:59 pm (#

Scrumptious! Absolutely scrumptious!

19. Rituparna February 7, 2012 @ 12:26 pm (#

You are one competitive lady. Love that idea n well I could chomp on a plate of donuts morning, afternoon or night. Looks delicious.

20. Stefanie February 7, 2012 @ 8:08 pm (#

Haha congrats on your win!! Very creative breakfast/dessert!! Looks great!

21. Joanne February 7, 2012 @ 10:59 pm (#

(a) Why/HOW did this not show up in Google Reader? Sadness.
    (b) What do you mean these friendly lovey dovey blogger things aren’t death matches? I always thought they were.
    (c) Blogger death match kinda makes me think of jell-o wrestling. But maybe we should make it strawberry donut pudding wrestling instead. Nice.

Karly Reply:

@Joanne,

(a) I messed up and published the post a week early, so Google is confused and doesn’t know what to do. Stupid Google.
    (b) You were right.
    (c) I’m totally picturing a bunch of bloggers covered in various ice cream toppings. Is that creepy of me?

22. Jen February 10, 2012 @ 3:10 pm (#

Oh, YUM. I’m always looking for breakfast recipes, and frankly it doesn’t bother me ONE BIT to eat dessert for breakfast. Can’t wait to try this!

23. JenMarie February 14, 2012 @ 12:26 pm (#

This is so pretty and wow, just sounds incredible. Makes me think of a jelly filled donut. *sigh*

24. Patti May 28, 2012 @ 11:08 pm (#

This should be illegal. I think I’m in love. Thank you for this. You have added 5 pounds to my waistline.

1. Pingback: Glass Topper Valentines Cookies & a Party!

2. Pingback: Valentines Twinkies on a Stick

3. Pingback: Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies | Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies | Two Peas & Their Pod

4. Pingback: Valentine’s Day Cookie Cake Pops - Bakingdom

5. Pingback: Baking Like Water For Chocolate: Making Chocolate | Scarletta Bakes

6. Pingback: rosemary focaccia |

7. Pingback: Hot Fudge and Strawberry Donut Pudding Recipe – Best Friends For Frosting

8. Pingback: Baking Like Water for Chocolate: Making Chocolate

9. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Red Velvet Cupcakes with Roses {Recipe}

10. Pingback: CPB Editor Thought's: Valentines Day Treat - VALENTINES TWINKIES ON A STICK - Claire Ann Peetz Blog