Canned Biscuit Donuts

Donuts are a girl’s best friend. Besides diamonds, of course. And chocolate. Oh, and shoes.

Either way, donuts are up there in the top ten. That explains why I have so many donut recipes on this site. The funny thing is that I was missing my favorite donut recipe. I can’t believe I haven’t shared this with all of you yet.

I’ve made these donuts for as long as I can remember and, not only are they beyond simple, they are absolutely delicious. Just don’t burn your face off trying to eat them straight out of the hot oil. That’d be a bummer. I would know. I have to eat them as soon as I pull them out or my kids sneak them. These donuts aren’t made to be shared.

I know many of you are scared of frying, but I’m going to continue posting these types of recipes every now and then, because 1) It’s my blog and I’ll fry if I want to, 2) You need to get over your fear, and 3) You better check yourself before you wreck yourself.

PrintPrintSaveSave

Canned Biscuit Donuts

Ingredients:

1 tube (or more) canned refrigerated biscuits (I get the flaky layers kind)
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon (or more, to taste)
hot oil, for frying

Directions:

Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet or deep fryer to 350 degrees.
Using a donut cutter (or the cap from a 2 liter soda bottle), cut the center from each biscuit.
In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
Place a few donuts in the pan of hot oil, being careful not to crowd the pan. Fry until golden brown on one side, about 1-2 minutes, and then flip and fry until gold brown on the other side.
Remove and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
Shake each donut in the sugar and cinnamon mixture to coat.
Serve hot.

32 Responses to “Canned Biscuit Donuts”

1. Lauren November 7, 2011 @ 9:13 am (#

Aww, what a sweetheart! Biscuit doughnuts are completely fail proof! Probably why I love them so much…

2. JulieD November 7, 2011 @ 9:14 am (#

They are pretty amazing, aren’t they? I love making these easy donuts too! I love your photographs!

3. mariyiajean November 7, 2011 @ 9:21 am (#

lol!! they turned out great and an extra plus for your “check yourself before you wreck yourself” comment haha!! Love this site!

4. burghbaby November 7, 2011 @ 9:26 am (#

YUM!

5. Living The Sweet Life November 7, 2011 @ 9:40 am (#

How delicious!! They look so light and fluffy *Mmmm*

6. DessertForTwo November 7, 2011 @ 9:51 am (#

Gah! That face! SO adorable!!! Just wait til she pulls that face on Daddy–she’s gonna get whatever she wants!!! :)

P.S. This is my favorite way to make donuts at home EVER. I know I should be more ‘homemade’ but these donuts taste like they came straight from the donut shop.

Karly Reply:

Too late. She already knows that trick. ;)

7. Deborah November 7, 2011 @ 10:08 am (#

This is seriously the easiest way to make doughnuts, and they are tasty, too! I made them for my husband awhile back, and he was surprised at how good they are!

8. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 7, 2011 @ 1:19 pm (#

Ok I had no idea this was possible. Canned biscuits…nice!

I just made donuts (baked) and they are so easy but this is a great tip.

9. Jenny November 7, 2011 @ 4:25 pm (#

glad you are back…i’m still not frying though. haha.

Karly Reply:

Chicken! ;)

10. Michelle November 7, 2011 @ 6:25 pm (#

Where have these been all my life? I had no clue you could make donuts from a can of biscuits!!!

11. Danielle November 7, 2011 @ 7:22 pm (#

This is how we made “Churros” for a program at the library this summer! Only we rolled and twisted the dough before frying. SO yummy.

12. Sue November 7, 2011 @ 8:04 pm (#

I have made these quite a few times, and you are so right; they’re very yummy!

13. Melissa November 7, 2011 @ 8:56 pm (#

FYI if you want new orleans beignets, cut them in half and after frying shake em in a bag of powdered sugar! My momma used to do that when I was little. I might have to do it for my kiddos. I’m not afraid for frying I just hate the smell it leaves behind.

14. Joanne November 7, 2011 @ 9:29 pm (#

FINE I’ll get over my frying fears…you are just too persuasive for your own good sometimes.

15. Karly November 8, 2011 @ 7:32 am (#

Test, test, test…

16. Cookbook Queen November 8, 2011 @ 9:22 am (#

Biscuit donuts are one of our favorite things around here…my MIL used to make them for my husband when he was little and used a curler to cut the holes out of the donuts…I use a small piece of metal pipe that i keep in my drawer for donuts only!!!

Loving the new design, it’s adorable, karly!!!

17. Veronica @ Café con Leche November 8, 2011 @ 1:28 pm (#

Wow I loooove the new format Karly!! Looks awesome! :) I am dying to buy a donut pan…top of my to-do list as soon as I get home so make lots of yummy donuts! Will have to give these a try…I’ve never heard of donuts from biscuits! cool!

18. Pam November 8, 2011 @ 3:11 pm (#

This made me smile! I used to make these for my husband. He loved them!

19. what katie's baking November 9, 2011 @ 1:04 pm (#

omg! i love your new blog layout!!

20. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen November 9, 2011 @ 2:30 pm (#

Ooooh I likey the new digs!

21. Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry November 9, 2011 @ 9:30 pm (#

My kids went NUTSO when I made these doughnuts for them! And admittedly I ate the majority of them… hehe

22. sue November 10, 2011 @ 7:52 am (#

How amazing is that? I woulf so try donuts if they were this easy!

23. Skye November 11, 2011 @ 9:08 am (#

I have never seen anyone say “check yourself before you wreck yourself” on a food blog before. You are a pioneer!

24. Kaoru November 13, 2011 @ 2:20 pm (#

What a great idea! I am going to try it, maybe even today. I was so inspired by your pumpkin donut recipe from a little while ago, my friends and I threw a donut party (aka deep frying party) where everyone brought their own dough to fry. For breakfast too. Your recipe was awesome.Thank you!

25. Lee March 5, 2012 @ 6:56 pm (#

I made these and they are great! I am a chunk-a-monk so i put a store bought cream cheese icing in the microwave for a few seconds and then put in a bowl. After frying my donuts I let a bit of the oil get soaked up by a paper towel (just for a few seconds) Then i dipped them in the cream cheese icing and then added color sprinkles. My boyfriend like them so much he almost put a ring on my finger! PLEASE TRY THEM!!!!!!!!!!

26. Gillian May 28, 2013 @ 6:43 pm (#

Sooooooo yummy !!!!! I was curious about the fact you can make doughnuts useing canned biscuits …….. But anyway I dried them and I put some warm honey on top ! Yummmmm ????????????????????????????

27. Gillian May 28, 2013 @ 6:43 pm (#

28. Gillian May 28, 2013 @ 6:44 pm (#

29. kaz slater June 15, 2013 @ 9:19 am (#

i would love to make them but i need a home made dough ..because i am coeliac .. NO corn or wheat flour… do you think you could help me ???? all my breads,cakes,biscuits DONT rise or are soooooooo crumbly you cant even pick them up because of the stupid flours i have to use.. i miss eating all the yummy stuff

1. Pingback: Beignets | Buns In My Oven