Avocado Toast

Avocado Toast recipe

Let me tell you a story about my first experience with an avocado.

I bought one at the store. I had no idea if it was ripe or not. I took it home. I looked at it. I tried to peel it with my fingernails. I gave up. I threw it in the garbage.

The end!

Fascinating, right?

You see, the only reason I bought an avocado in the first place is because my daughter was starting to eat solid foods and I had heard they were good “brain food” for babies. I never would have eaten one of those big green, goobery things. Let’s face it: Avocados look like they taste like boogers.

I cain’t eat no boogers.

I just cain’t.

Avocado Toast recipe

I had no problem, however, making my baby eat it. After all, she was only 6 months old, she didn’t know any better! Also, sometimes her nose would run straight into her mouth before I could get there to wipe it in time and she didn’t seem to mind the taste of snot.

Alas, it was years and years before I tried another avocado. Right around this time, actually. I had just discovered guacamole and boy, it was love at first bite. Sure, I was a bit leery about putting that first bite in my mouth, but once I did? I was done for.

Since then I’ve taken to eating avocados as often as humanly possible. Guacomole is still one of my favorites, but lately I’ve been smooshing an avocado up and then spreading it on toast. It is so simple, but ohmigosh, it’s divine. Sometimes I toast the bread and spread the avocado on it and eat it straight away, other times I toast the bread, spread it with avocado, and then pop it all under the broiler for a couple of minutes. I alternate between the two methods, because I just can’t pick a favorite.

Seriously, y’all, this has become my go-to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and midnight snack. I eat this at least once a day and sometimes quite a bit more often than that. I can’t help myself. It’s so good. Besides, it’s FRUIT.  Fruit is good, right?

Oh, and PS – Avocados don’t taste like boogers. They taste like heaven.

Avocado Toast recipe

Avocado Toast

Avocado Toast recipe

Ingredients

• 1 ripe avocado (soft and slightly squishy is how I like them best)
  • 2 - 3 slices of toast, depending on how thick you want your avocado spread on
  • lots of sea salt

Instructions

1. Cut open your avocado, remove the pit, and scoop out the insides with a spoon. Use a fork to mash the avocado. Sprinkle with salt and stir it all up.
  2. Spread on the warm toast (the thicker the better, in my opinion) and sprinkle with a bit more salt, if desired.
  3. Pop it all under the broiler for a few minutes if you like the avocado warm, otherwise eat it cold. Both ways are delicious!
Avocado Toast recipe

20 Responses to “Avocado Toast”

1. katescakesandbakes May 16, 2011 @ 5:46 am (#

Haha- I too discovered avacado quite recently following years of thinking ‘snot on toast? Nah!’. But starving at a buffet one night, I tucked in out of desperation and now love the stuff!
    A happy ending all round!

2. Meg May 16, 2011 @ 5:15 am (#

Avocado…. in my top 5 foods. Excellent in bean salad, green salad, quesadilla, anything Mexican inspired, and absolutely heavenly on a turkey and cheddar sandwich.

3. Barbara May 16, 2011 @ 6:52 am (#

That made me laugh out loud!
    Boogers, indeed. :)
    I love avocadoes! Any way, any time. But must admit I’ve never had them plain on toast. Yum!

4. Kenni May 16, 2011 @ 7:20 am (#

I used to work at a bakery and a woman I worked with was pregnant and she ate this every single day! She’s the reason I started eating avocado.

5. Cookbook Queen May 16, 2011 @ 8:50 am (#

I will be trying this as soon as humanly possible.

And I agree. Kids don’t mind boogers at all. Those gross tiny humans.

6. Megan May 16, 2011 @ 8:57 am (#

I couldn’t agree with you more. Avocados are incredibly addicting. Sometimes I’ll take a half and scoop it straight out of the skin and eat it just like that! But I also love spreading it on sandwiches. Yum!

7. Amy @ A Little Nosh May 16, 2011 @ 9:32 am (#

I’ve never thought to spread it on toast. Sounds amazing! Especially with the right amount of salt. Yum!

8. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking May 16, 2011 @ 10:32 am (#

What a simple, but I bet scrumptious, recipe! This has got me seriously craving an avocado breakfast, Karly, but I have none in sight… How could you do this to me?! :)

9. Joanne May 16, 2011 @ 11:01 am (#

I spent a good period in college eating an entire avocado with a bit of salt for breakfast. Talk about filling. I don’t think I got hungry again for like 8 hours after that. And I am ALWAYS hungry.

I love the idea of avocado just smeared on toast! I think I need to reincorporate the avocado love into my life.

10. Scott May 16, 2011 @ 7:53 pm (#

bleach! I still think they taste like boogers. Oh well, more for y’all to enjoy I guess. :-]

11. Heather May 17, 2011 @ 6:28 am (#

In the last year I have finally tried avocados and love them. I will have to try this for my snack….today.

12. Kristin @ STUFT Mama May 17, 2011 @ 8:25 am (#

My friend turned me on to something just like this, but we added some scrambled egg whites before the avocado. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Starlene May 17, 2011 @ 11:57 am (#

do just like you have been…spread on toast but then… top with crumbled, crispy bacon. trust me.

14. grace May 20, 2011 @ 2:05 am (#

BIG fan of avocados and salt here. BIG. i’ve never actually eaten it on toast, but as far as i can tell, that’d only add to the overall experience. :)

15. shelly (cookies and cups) May 20, 2011 @ 6:46 am (#

breakfast at your house..avocado toast and stove top. Can I please come over?

16. Raina May 23, 2011 @ 9:37 pm (#

LOVE avocados with everything. Sometimes I add some pepper and lemon too (lemon pepper?) along with the salt to make it even yummier :)

17. Ashley July 12, 2011 @ 3:11 pm (#

One of my favorite semi-quick lunch/dinners is to spread mashed avocado on two slices of bread, sprinkle with sea salt, top with some thinly sliced onion and tomato, and grill it… I started making these when I realized I was lactose intolerant so no more grilled cheese! So delicious and simple!

18. Linda August 2, 2011 @ 2:30 pm (#

Also delicious on a really good pita. I toss the pita in a skillet over low heat, flip it, add a little pepper jack chese. Spread with avocado (or guac) and sliced tomatoes. Best. Lunch. Ever.

19. josheli October 16, 2011 @ 8:10 pm (#

LOL LOL LOL! That is so hilarious but so true about your baby girl! They have no problems eating their snot! I just had to share this with my Hubby. As for Avocados they are HEAVENLY! Growing up in SoCal we have avocados everywhere along with lemons and oranges. growing in nearly every back yard.

20. Guy Melbourne August 1, 2012 @ 3:58 am (#

You need to participate in a contest for among the best blogs on the web. I’ll recommend this web site!