There are few things in this world yummier than cheese covered potatoes.
Carbs + Cheese = TRU LUV 4EVAH
I used to decorate my high school notebooks with that.
Okay, no I didn’t. I used to write things like “I love my little Chaddy-poo punkin pie.”
Nah. I didn’t write that either. But I thought it! You better believe I thought it!
Um, let’s get back to the potatoes now. The delicious, crispy, creamy, cheesy potatoes.
If you’re feeling especially naughty when you make this, toss in some crispy, chopped bacon. Onion is also yummy, but once again, MY HUSBAND RUINS EVERYTHING and won’t let me add that. *sigh*
“Mrs. Chaddy-poo Punkin Pie” was written long before I knew of his hatred for onions and THAT is the truth.
Good thing he’s cute, is all I’m sayin’.
- 2 pounds frozen hashbrowns
- 8 ounces light sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (or use this recipe as a substitute)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup onion (optional)
- 1/2 cup crispy, diced bacon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups freshly grated cheddar (a cheddar and monterey jack mix is very nice, too)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl.
- Mix together the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, melted butter, onions, and bacon in a medium bowl.
- Pour half of the hashbrowns in the baking dish. Sprinkle with the garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper. Pour half of the soup mixture on top of the hashbrowns and spread it out to cover the potatoes. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Pour remaining hashbrowns on top, spread on the remaining soup mixture, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.