Bacon Pinwheels

It seems as if I have a bit of an obsessive personality. You see, my aunt made these little Bacon Pinwheels as an appetizer for Thanksgiving and, well, I continued obsessing about them for days after eating them. They are so cute! And tasty! And full of bacon and cheese!

Like a good food blogger, I embraced the obsession and whipped these little guys up in no time flat. I knew that until I had made them myself there was no way I’d be able to get them out of my head. I’m sad (and kinda happy) to report that making these myself really didn’t help. The kids and I are addicted to them. We might have even eaten them for dinner one night.

I just kinda winged this one, so forgive the lack of precise measurements. Honestly, though, I’m pretty sure it’d be impossible to screw these tasty little treats up.

In other news, I’m kinda addicted to all of the many food blogs out there with the gorgeous photographs and pretty writing all over their images. So…I copied them. I did. Is that bad? It’s just…it’s so pretty. What do you think? Text on the photos or no?

Bacon Pinwheels

Ingredients

• 1 tube of crescent roll dough (Reduced fat works just fine for this and you'll never know the difference!)
  • 2 ounces cream cheese or (1/3 less fat cream cheese works here!)
  • 5-ish bacon slices, fried and chopped
  • Bunch of green onions, chopped (optional - I left these out, but they'd be good)
  • handful or two of cheddar cheese
  • sprinkling of garlic salt

Instructions

1. Unroll the crescent roll dough and smoosh together all the seams. Roll it out with the rolling pin to flatten it a bit. Spread with 2 ounces of softened cream cheese, right out to the very edges. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Sprinkle on the cheese and bacon (and green onion, if using) as evenly as possible. Roll it up from long end to long end. Slice into 1/2 to 1 inch (ish) slices and place on a baking sheet. Bake as directed on the crescent roll package.

{Don’t forget you still have four chances to enter to win a $250 Best Buy Gift Card courtesy of BlogHer and Intel! Enter HERE and HERE.}

20 Responses to “Bacon Pinwheels”

1. HaB December 6, 2010 @ 8:30 am (#

I was just thinking that with a side of scrambled eggs these would be the most awesome with breakfast! YUM!!! (great…now, I’m drooling all over my key board)

2. Kim - Mommycosm December 6, 2010 @ 8:54 am (#

Remind me not to read your blog until I’ve eaten breakfast. YUM! Those look awesome. Who doesn’t love bread, cheese and bacon?!

3. TripleZmom (formerly Jerseygirl89) December 6, 2010 @ 10:01 am (#

The last time I emailed one of you posts to my husband, he made it for dinner that night. So emailing this one right now.

4. Maria December 6, 2010 @ 10:02 am (#

Great appetizer for the holidays!

5. Joanne December 6, 2010 @ 11:34 am (#

Just hearing the words bacon and cheese triggers an obsession for me. Really. You have created a monster.

6. dropfood December 6, 2010 @ 7:00 pm (#

Your recipe was posted.

7. Jade S. December 6, 2010 @ 10:38 pm (#

Is it possible to use another type of cheese instead of cream cheese? I have the worst aversion to cream cheese (I can’t stand the taste). Or does this have a very strong taste of “zomg!CREAMCHEESE!”?

=J.s

8. MrsDragon December 6, 2010 @ 10:49 pm (#

I prefer the pictures with no text–your pictures are amazing as is! That said, it’s your blog, do what makes you happy. I love your sense of humor and taste in food so text or not, I’m here. : )

9. Karly December 6, 2010 @ 10:50 pm (#

Jade,

You can just leave the cream cheese out, if you like! I don’t think the ones that I first tried had it in there, but I thought they were a bit dry, so I added it for a bit of creaminess. Flavor-wise, I don’t think you would notice the cream cheese in these if you weren’t the one spreading it on the dough.

You could also substitute a different cheese…maybe sprinkle on a bit of monterey jack in addition to the cheddar? I think that would work just fine!

Enjoy!
    Karly

10. Kathleen December 7, 2010 @ 1:33 pm (#

Karly, I love this post! I’m so with you on being an obsessive foodie! These bacon pin wheels look really amazing! I just started following you on twitter ;)

11. Michelle December 7, 2010 @ 3:15 pm (#

Cheese and bacon in a flaky crescent roll? I’m on board! I think I could eat a whole batch by myself, actually.

12. grace December 8, 2010 @ 6:54 am (#

you’re on a roll, karly! (insert rimshot here.) seriously, these are great. as for the text, well, i only use it when i’m trying to mask a particularly bad picture. :)

13. Christy December 11, 2010 @ 11:40 pm (#

I am going to make these! I love that you used the word smoosh…like the Jersey Shore peeps.

14. Jamie February 4, 2011 @ 1:57 pm (#

Are these good served at room temperature? Love your blog

15. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel May 18, 2011 @ 8:24 am (#

Cheese and bacon? Yes please :) Though I think I’d sub in shredded cheese since I’m *gasp* not a cream cheese fan. Still totally love this idea!

16. Ellen April 4, 2012 @ 3:02 pm (#

Gorgeous phoos! Any guesstimation on how much this makes?

Karly Reply:

@Ellen,

Thank you!

It makes about ten, depending on how thick you slice them. :)

Ellen Reply: