Sausage Dressing

Sausage Dressing recipe

Way back when, a looooong, long time ago, I posted a recipe for Sausage Dressing. And, if you are anything like I was before I learned about sausage dressing, you might be asking if I’m talking about a dressing for salad. Made out of sausage. I am not. I am talking about bread, sausage, onions, and celery coming together to create the most perfect Thanksgiving side dish out there. Even better than mashed potatoes. Oh yes, I did just say that. Meant it, too.

The problem with the original recipe that I posted is that I was kinda a failure at photography back then. Everything is underexposed and my white balance is unbelievably bad and, well, I thought you all deserved this recipe with some prettier pictures. You eat with your eyes first, after all.

Then I tried to take pictures of sausage dressing and I realized that it’s just not an attractive food. I’ll share it with you anyway though, because this stuff is made of dreams. And sparkles. Sprinkled with rainbows. It’s good stuff, y’all.

Sausage Dressing

• 3/4 Loaf of white bread
  • 1lb Sage flavored sausage
  • Celery, 1 -2 bunches
  • Small Onion
  • Family Size can (26oz) Cream of Chicken (or mushroom) (or both!) soup
  • Sage, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Tear bread into bite sized pieces, place in 9×13 dish and put bread in oven to toast. Or, if you like to think ahead, just lay the bread out on a baking dish and leave it on the counter overnight. It’ll be perfectly stale the next day and ready to use, no toasting required.

2. Brown sausage, onions and celery until cooked through. Do not drain.

3. Transfer sausage and vegetables to a large bowl and add soup. Mix well.

4. Remove bread from oven and pour sausage mixture on to bread. Mix together well, making sure to get all of the bread coated in the soup mixture. Every last piece should be good and wet.

5. Smooth mixture with the back of a spoon and sprinkle with sage.

6. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes or until browned.

19 Responses to “Sausage Dressing”

1. Becky October 30, 2010 @ 7:36 pm (#

I think it looks fantastic!! I LOVE dressing, it is my favorite side dish too. I will have to try this out before Thanksgiving…I can’t wait that long! I’ll bet it would be good with half cornbread cubes too. Though cornbread vs. regular bread is a personal decision to be sure. Thanks for sharing!

2. Patricia Herman October 30, 2010 @ 8:54 pm (#

Thanks for this recipe. I am going to try it out on my husband in the next week or two to see if he likes it. He has been searching high and low for a good sausage dressing recipe!

BTW love your site!

3. Simone (junglefrog) October 31, 2010 @ 5:01 am (#

Certain foods are definitely better to eat then to look at! But still the picture does make me want to try it out so I guess mission accomplished!

4. Allison October 31, 2010 @ 5:32 am (#

I am just now becoming a lover of ‘dressing’ :) I am going to have to try this one. My mother-in-laws in hard to beat, according to my husband *sigh* so I am keeping my fingers crossed I can do it!

5. Joanne October 31, 2010 @ 11:27 am (#

I admit that my first Thanksgiving as a food blogger, I was quite confused about what all this talk of dressing was about. But once I realized it was STUFFING. I fell quite in love. And was slightly less weirded out. (But I mean, food bloggers are a general rule are kind of weird. So only slightly.) I think this dressing looks marvelous! I might make it for lunch tomorrow. Not kidding.

6. Michelle October 31, 2010 @ 2:47 pm (#

I think it looks great. I make a Martha recipe for sausage and cornbread stuffing every Thanksgiving that we just love, with a capital L. :) All those flavors are perfect together.

7. keri October 31, 2010 @ 9:52 pm (#

YUMMMMM! Dressing is way better than mashed potatoes…… um, unless they are Garlic mashed and then it’s close……

try this with Extra Sour Sourdough bread. Oh my!

8. CrustaBakes November 1, 2010 @ 1:57 am (#

I guess this is one of those food thats hard to photograph yeah? But u did well, the picture is very well taken!

9. Barbara November 1, 2010 @ 10:53 am (#

Yummy stuffing recipe, Karly!
    You gotta forget the photos of some foods…..no matter what, they’re difficult. You did a good job. I go by the recipe….and this one sounds great.

10. Deborah November 1, 2010 @ 1:07 pm (#

Would you believe I just finished off some leftover dressing for lunch? Now I want some of yours!!

11. grace November 2, 2010 @ 8:41 am (#

golly, this makes stovetop look like dryer lint. good work, karly. :)

12. nikki (Pennies on a Platter) November 3, 2010 @ 5:54 pm (#

Better than mashed potatoes!? Whaaa?? This must be REALLY good then! :) Looks wonderful! I think you’re pic is great, even if you don’t! ;)

13. sharon November 12, 2010 @ 7:25 pm (#

My father’s semi-famous dressing is similar to this… I’ve been struggling with how to handle the cream of celery soup since I’ve acquired dairy issues. I can handle butter but no other dairy. What do you think the cream soup adds to the recipe? Creaminess? Saltiness? Or to bind things together? Would a roux added to the gizzard juice (gizzard’s boiled in a pressure cooker) be an acceptable subsitute? Anyone have ideas?

14. Carrie November 17, 2010 @ 1:44 pm (#

Hi,

Questions…. do you really mean 1 – 2 bunches of celery? or do you just mean stalks?

Would I just bake this in a bowl?? I’m a newbie!! :)

Thanks!

15. Carrie November 29, 2010 @ 5:23 pm (#

Well, we tried this – it wasn’t great at all! It was pretty greasy – and the flavor wasn’t wonderful!

Can’t win em all, I guess!

16. Lee October 28, 2014 @ 2:01 pm (#

Skip the soup- use chicken broth instead.
    Use stale cornbread, not white bread.
    Use more sage.
    Add a box of Stovetop Mix- Cornbread Style- made according to directions. Makes the dish more familiar to American palates.
    DO NOT STUFF IN BIRD, cook in separate pan.

1. Pingback: Would it be weird if I mentioned that my pants were unbuttoned? | Rational Ovens

2. Pingback: Would it be weird if I mentioned that my pants were unbuttoned? — Buns In My Oven

3. Pingback: Pumpkin Square Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting - What Katie's Baking