Onion Strings

You know when you go out for a nice dinner with your husband or family or friends or hair stylist or newspaper delivery boy? You know how you decide that this time, tonight, right now gosh darn it you are going to order an appetizer, a big ol’ meal, and a deliciously sinful dessert? You know how you eat the appetizer and then when your meal arrives you’re already so uncomfortably full that you know there is no way you’ll be able to finish your meal, much less order dessert? Hate when that happens. Hate!

Do not fear, though. I have a solution. Assuming that your appetizer of choice is onion strings (and why wouldn’t it be?) then just go ahead and indulge in those at home every so often (daily, if you must)  so that you can skip the appetizer course and just eat that big meal and enjoy that sinful dessert when you go out to dinner with your friendly local UPS delivery man, or you know, whoever it is you may be enjoying your dinners with.

Seriously, making these onion strings at home is beyond simple and they are, dare I say it, even better than the ones you get at the restaurants. Also, I use whole wheat flour to bread my onions which makes these super healthy and stuff. I asked my doctor. He said I should consume as many of these onion strings as possible. The whole wheat flour is magical. Also, onions are vegetables.

Please, don’t be a weeny and eat these with ketchup. Ketchup is only allowed on the thick, full sized onion rings. Onion strings call for ranch dressing. True story.

Onion Strings
lightly adapted from The Pioneer Woman

• 1 whole onion
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 cups white whole wheat flour (or just white)
  • 1 scant Tbsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • enough oil for frying

Slice the onion as thin as you can get it. You’ll want a good sharp knife for this. Place the thin slices of onion in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk. Allow to sit for about 15 minutes. (My breading doesn’t seem to stay on as good if I let the onions soak for much longer than that.)

Heat oil in a frying pan.

In a small dish or pie plate, mix together the flour, salt, and cayenne pepper. Dredge the onion strings in the flour mixture. Shake to remove excess flour and place strings into hot oil. Fry until golden brown and crunchy. You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your pan.

Drain on a paper towel lined plate and serve hot. Sprinkle with a bit more salt if desired.

17 Responses to “Onion Strings”

1. Maria September 19, 2010 @ 7:41 pm (#

I like how thin they are! WIll have to make these for a game night!

2. Jessica @ How Sweet September 19, 2010 @ 7:46 pm (#

YUM! My hubby would love these.

3. Clare @ Mrs Multitasker September 19, 2010 @ 10:07 pm (#

Yum I love the sound of these! My husband would love them too! I will try this very very soon…

4. Barbara September 20, 2010 @ 6:01 am (#

That is so true, Karly! I just can’t eat all those courses…and dessert IS the most important.
    Love onion rings and buttermilk always seems to do the trick, doesn’t it? Great recipe.

5. Jerseygirl89 September 20, 2010 @ 6:17 am (#

I have forwarded this to my husband, the family cook. If he doesn’t make them soon, I’m going to have to bribe him with sexual favors because these look AWESOME.

6. Jen @ How To: Simplify September 20, 2010 @ 9:46 am (#

These look so good! They are perfect for the football season!

7. Michelle September 20, 2010 @ 12:13 pm (#

I like the way you think. LOL

8. Julie September 20, 2010 @ 2:38 pm (#

Hmm…I wonder how my doctor would feel about these. I think I should skip asking her and just make some.

9. Pam September 20, 2010 @ 3:06 pm (#

I could eat a plate of these for dinner and be totally satisfied.

10. Joanne September 20, 2010 @ 6:43 pm (#

I hate it when I don’t get dessert. It’s a serious buzzkill. I mean, otherwise, what’s the point of going out if I can inhale an absolutely delicious HUNK of cheesecake or creme brulee or whatever.

Onion strings are a total favorite of mine and something I rarely ever order, but always love. Being able to make them at home sounds dangerous. But also awesome.

11. Kathleen September 20, 2010 @ 7:29 pm (#

I am going to make these for my husband! Yay!!

12. megan September 23, 2010 @ 6:08 pm (#

They look incredible! I love onion strings, and never order them when I go out. Can’t wait to try these!

13. Anna September 27, 2010 @ 7:04 am (#

I love these and I love making them. Problem is that I can’t stop myself from eating the entire batch!

14. florists in US October 16, 2010 @ 4:19 pm (#

15. Miss November 20, 2010 @ 12:12 am (#

Can’t wait to try these, they look so delicious!

16. Barbara November 20, 2010 @ 9:33 am (#

I can’t usually find buttermilk where we live, but fresh whole milk works every bit as well! I’ve made these several times and they are simply luscious! I make a whole onion for each person and they disappear like magic.

P. S. I’m a nurse, and I KNOW that doctors recommend them to patients. Right along with the Lipitor, which is a dynamite combo.

1. Pingback: Onion Strings « i FinD Recipes Online