Raspberry Oatmeal Bars

Y’all know what streusel is, right? It’s butter, flour, sugar, and sometimes oats all mushed together to form this delightfully sweet treat. It’s the perfect topping for pies or coffee cakes and it’s down right decadent on dessert pizza. I love streusel. I want to marry streusel. I would have streusel’s babies if I wasn’t so against eating my own offspring. Actually, after the day I’ve had, maybe eating my own offspring wouldn’t be so bad. Also, is it time for my kids to go back to school? What’s that? I homeschool? Who the heck signed me up for THAT?

It’s been a long day, y’all.

Luckily, thankfully, happily I can just hide out in my kitchen making sweet treats while my kids play video games for an unhealthy amount of time. It happens. I admit it.

Enough about my bad parenting, let’s talk about my delicious baking instead. This little treat is basically a streusel crust with a raspberry jam filling. It’s kinda amazing.

I always use Smucker’s Simply Fruit red raspberry spreadable fruit because it’s HFCS free and it’s basically just mushed up fruit. This is not a paid advertisement, I just like what I like and I like Smucker’s. I also like opening a new jar of peanut butter (JIF, because I’m a choosy mom) and being the first to stick a knife in the jar, but that’s neither here nor there and I don’t know what I’m talking about anymore.

So, uh, make these? And, maybe, eat ‘em? Yep. I’m pretty sure that’s where I was going with this whole post.

Over and out.

Raspberry Oatmeal Bars
recipe from allrecipes.com

• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup seedless rapsberry jam (or any other flavor you might like)

Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8×8 baking dish with foil and lightly grease.

Using a pastry cutter, two knives, or your hands, cut together everything but the jam. Don’t be afraid to get in there and get your hands dirty. Combine until you have a nice crumbly mixture without too many large chunks of butter.

Press 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spoon on the jam (if it is cold, it helps to microwave it to soften it up a bit) and spread to within 1/4 inch of the edge. Lightly press the remaining crust mixture over the top of the jam.

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting.

15 Responses to “Raspberry Oatmeal Bars”

1. DessertForTwo August 6, 2010 @ 12:46 pm (#

You crack me up, you crazy lady!

Hey, just so you know, the top part of your website hasn’t been loading for me lately. I’m trying to find your About page, because like a good stalker, I need to know where ya live. No honestly, you say “y’all” a lot and I’m hoping to discover you’re my long-lost Southern twin sister.

2. Michelle August 6, 2010 @ 3:53 pm (#

Sometimes letting my kids play large amounts of video games is the only way to preserve my sanity. I refuse to say it’s bad parenting! : )
    These bars look great. Dessert for breakfast!

3. Joanne August 6, 2010 @ 9:07 pm (#

Yeah streusel is a GOOD thing. Specifically, it’s a thing to live by. As is JIF. Good calls all around.

4. grace August 7, 2010 @ 4:35 pm (#

do i know what streusel is? DO I KNOW what streusel is? we’re intimately familiar. this is really a phenomenal little bar–i make it almost daily at the bakery where i’m working because it sells like crazy!

5. Natalie (The Sweets Life) August 9, 2010 @ 10:25 am (#

My mom’s friend always made these for us while we growing up, we called them jam bars and I LOVED them. I can’t wait to make these! :)

6. Erica Lea August 10, 2010 @ 8:14 am (#

They look so yummy! Simply Fruit is awesome stuff.

7. Julie August 10, 2010 @ 9:42 pm (#

They are just beautiful! If you had to neglect your kids a little to get ‘em made, so be it! (just kidding of course ;)

8. Maria August 11, 2010 @ 2:29 pm (#

Perfect picnic bars!

9. ktmar12 (dessert for every meal) August 11, 2010 @ 8:57 pm (#

yummmm!!!
    these look so good. i will most definitely be making these when i get home from vaca.

10. a-man August 19, 2010 @ 4:34 pm (#

You’ve done a great job with these bars…
    They look awesome-yummy-tastylicious…

Thank you for posting.

11. lauramich November 23, 2010 @ 3:58 pm (#

I think I may need to make these with some homemade apple butter. Nom!

12. Shirley December 27, 2010 @ 10:16 am (#

Your pictures are beautiful!

1. Pingback: Holiday Helpers - Things we'd like to do during the holidays | picklebums.com

2. Pingback: Plum/Blueberry Oatmeal Bars – A Wrinkle in Thyme