Bacon, Cheddar, and Chive Muffins

Bacon Week is over, y’all. Are you sad? I’m sad. I’m also a little relieved. It’s gotten to the point where I can actually feel all the bacon grease clogging my arteries. It’s not pretty.

That didn’t stop me from devouring a few of these muffins for breakfast this morning though. That being sad, these were not my favorite breakfast muffins. Don’t get me wrong, they were very tasty. They just didn’t feel like breakfast food. These would, however, be amazing along side a salad or a bowl of soup.

The texture of these was much more like a biscuit, but I hesitate to call them biscuits as they are baked in a muffin tin. Whatever you call them, I’m sure you’ll find they’re delicious. I’m definitely making these the next time soup is on the menu. These would perfect dunked in a bowl of something hot and cheesy.

Now let’s move on to your favorite bacon recipes! I’m feeling a bit sad and lonely and weepy because not too many of you played along for Bacon Week. Where’s the love, people? Where’s the love?

For those of you that did play along, I love you from the bottom of my bacon clogged heart.

To start, we have an amazing recipe for Bacon Stuffed Avocados from How Sweet It Is.  As someone who is just discovering the yumminess of avocados, this recipe just blows my mind. It sounds so tasty! Luckily for me, I have an avocado sitting on my counter just waiting for me to do something tasty with it! I think this may be the way to go.

{photo from What It Is}

I feel like a bit of a failure sharing this recipe for Bacon Salted Caramel Brownies with you from What It Is. I mean, I am a baker. I love bacon. I love brownies. I love caramel. Why, oh why, have I never made these myself?

And up next we have a tasty, cheesy, oniony, bacony recipe by The Balloon Whisk and Pyrex Dish. This dish is getting made very soon. Like tomorrow.

This next recipe is for pizza. I don’t know about you, but I love pizza. Pizza is my life. Pizza with bacon is even better. This pizza is from The Townsend Bakery and I’m pretty sure it tastes divine.

Okay, before I share the recipe for the Bacon, Cheddar, and Chive Muffins, I just have one more thing to share. Have y’all ever heard of a Bacon Takedown? Well, neither had I, but then I received an email with the subject line “Bacon Gladiators Wow Crowds @ Bacon Takedowns Across the Country” and I peed my pants laughing. I’m sorry, but that is the best subject line I have ever read. Bacon Gladiators. I love it!

Anyway, Bacon Takedowns are basically bacon cooking competitions. There is a Bacon Takedown coming to the Twin Cities on July 18 from 4-6pm at O’Gara’s Garage. The cost is $15 to taste and judge all of the bacon entries and a percentage of the sales support Feeding America. Hormel is also matching the donations to Feeding America. (This is not a sponsored post, I just thought I’d share the information!) So, uh, if you live anywhere near the Twin Cities? You might wanna attend the Bacon Takedown. I’m completely bummed that I won’t be there. Imagine the fun blog post that would follow something like that!

Thanks for participating in Bacon Week with me, y’all! It’s been fun!

Bacon, Cheddar, and Chive Muffins
adapted from allrecipes.com

• 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tbsp white sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tbsp chopped chives
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used the powdery kind)
  • 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup canola oil

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin tins and set aside.

In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients. In a small bowl combine wet ingredients. Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix just until moistened. Batter will be very thick, wet, and sticky. Spoon into prepared muffin tins.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.

13 Responses to “Bacon, Cheddar, and Chive Muffins”

1. Cody July 2, 2010 @ 4:08 pm (#

I just made some cheddar/chive muffins not too long ago. They were awesome. I imagine bacon would work nicely, too.

But, I agree… Muffins make me think of breakfast, but cheddar and chive do not. Much better as a replacement for drop biscuits alongside dinner.

2. Jessica @ How Sweet July 2, 2010 @ 4:10 pm (#

I made some muffins with bacon a few weeks ago and felt the same – they were better at lunch or dinner and need something to be dipped in! These do look fabulous though.

Thanks for the link to my recipe! :)

3. Simone (junglefrog) July 3, 2010 @ 7:49 am (#

Well, I would have played along had I known about bacon week..! :) But having just returned from holiday life has been a little hectic around here. I do love your Bacon muffins! Although I can see why it would maybe not be perfect for breakfast but definitely perfect for everything else!

4. katie July 3, 2010 @ 12:57 pm (#

I would have submitted my bacon-wrapped poppers!! But, like Simone, I didn’t know until it was too late. :( I enjoyed it though, I am going to make my kettle corn in bacon grease next time to see how it turns out…

5. Barbara July 5, 2010 @ 7:24 am (#

I’ve got to be honest and tell you I don’t have that many bacon recipes. I love it, yes I do, but the one I use the most everyone in the world knows about…quiche. I mean, how boring would that have been?
    I love the recipes you’ve posted! Will definitely try the biscuits/muffins but I am drooling over the bacon caramel brownies. What a photo! YUM.

6. shelly (cookies and cups) July 5, 2010 @ 8:41 am (#

Those muffins sound awesome! I made a similar version not too long ago, but these are slightly different and sound amazing!

7. Julie July 5, 2010 @ 9:35 pm (#

Sorry I didn’t play, I’m just incredibly lazy! I’d sure love to get my hands on one of these muffins!

8. Erin @ Making Memories July 6, 2010 @ 10:02 pm (#

I absolutely love your blog. So I am passing on to you the Blog With Substance Award! You can check it out at http://makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com/2010/07/blog-with-substance-award.html

Thanks for all of your fantastic ideas!!!

9. Kathy @ The Sugar Queen July 7, 2010 @ 9:01 am (#

I’ve just found your blog, and I have to tell you that I love it! Such great looking recipes and photos!

10. Erica Lea July 7, 2010 @ 2:47 pm (#

Oh my. They sounds delicious. You’re making me hungry. Very hungry.

11. Katies Cooking July 18, 2010 @ 11:36 pm (#

Yum these look delish!! Do you think they would freeze well too? Cooking for two I have a hard time finishing off a whole batch of anything before it goes bad. : )

12. Erin October 24, 2010 @ 8:46 pm (#

I think you might be my new hero. There’s are being made next Sunday at our Halloween brunch and I cannot wait to try them. I may not wait, actually. Everything needs a test run, right?

13. Tanya July 21, 2011 @ 1:03 am (#

Thanks for the mention – my sister and co-author, Bast came across it today.
    Just letting you know, the cheesey bacon onion potatoes are great with chorizo instead of the bacon! I’ve also used both of them in there, and OMG! That is even more AWESOME!