Bacon Popcorn

Would you believe me if I told you that I used to not like popcorn? I mean, I didn’t dislike it, but it certainly wasn’t something that I sought out or drooled over. Forgive me for saying this, but there were even a few times that I went to the movie theatre and didn’t eat one piece of popcorn.

Don’t worry, I’ve since made up for those days. I now go to the movie and spend the entire movie with my face shoved in a bag of popcorn. After all, they wouldn’t make DVD rentals if you were supposed to actually watch the movie at the theatre. No, the theatre is for the popcorn. Don’t try telling me otherwise.

Popping popcorn at home is super easy, but it’s hard to get that buttery movie theatre flavor. I’m not sure what they use on their popcorn, but it’s not real butter. In fact, it’s probably best that I don’t know what it is. It would simultaneously gross me out and make me start an internet search for an online store where I could purchase some of my own icky but delicious fake butter flavoring.

So, let’s just move away from buttery popcorn. Let’s take a step back from the bag of cheese popcorn. Let’s put down those little popcorn seasoning shakers they sell all over the place now. Let’s fry up some dang bacon and pop our corn in the dripping. Let us all rejoice in the bacon and sprinkle a good amount of crumbled bacon right in our bag of popcorn. Let us all live happily ever after.

This recipe is a part of Bacon Week, the best week there ever was. If you’d like to participate, please send me a link to a bacon recipe on your blog and I’ll feature it here at the end of the week. Email the link (and feel free to include a picture sized 625px wide or smaller) by July 1st to karly[at]bunsinmyoven.com[dot]com.

Bacon Popcorn

• 10 slices bacon
  • 1/3 cup popcorn kernels

Dice the uncooked bacon and toss it in a large, hot skillet to fry. Stir frequently and continue frying until crisp. Remove piece of bacon from skillet and add drippings to a large stockpot over low-medium heat. Place 3 popcorn kernels in the bacon grease and wait for one to pop. When one of the kernels pops, your grease is hot enough. Add the remaining popcorn, cover the pan with a lid, and shake, shake, shake while the rest of the popcorn pops. Remove from heat and add the diced bacon to the popcorn. Salt if desired and enjoy!

17 Responses to “Bacon Popcorn”

1. Jessica @ How Sweet June 30, 2010 @ 7:08 am (#

Oh my gosh they were eating bacon popcorn on Good Morning America today and I was dying over it! Must make me some. :)

2. Rebekah June 30, 2010 @ 1:52 pm (#

ooooo…now there’s a combo I’ve never thought of.

3. Michelle July 1, 2010 @ 7:16 am (#

Wow.
    I’m in awe of your genius.

4. Holly July 1, 2010 @ 7:53 am (#

I love bacon week…so many delicious creative recipes to try out!!!

5. shelly (cookies and cups) July 1, 2010 @ 8:27 am (#

hahaha this is hilarious and brilliant all in one. i had better not let my husband see this, otherwise I am going to be knee-deep in bacon grease my the time the the weekend is over!

6. grace July 2, 2010 @ 2:54 am (#

so YOU’RE the person who sits behind me at the theater, inhaling her popcorn the whole time. :)

7. Rosey July 7, 2010 @ 9:18 pm (#

With a last name of Bacon, I don’t know if I can’t not serve this to my family! Thanks for sharing this insanely good recipe!

8. peabody July 13, 2010 @ 7:34 pm (#

I fear I would just be saying screw it to the popcorn and would go fishing for the bacon. :)

9. kristina November 16, 2010 @ 3:16 am (#

i can tell you from movie theatre experience, most theatres use coconut oil to pop the popcorn, and they mix popcorn salt, which is usually a yellowish orange color to it while it pops. that’s what gives it the great flavor :]

10. Jessica Cudzilo March 13, 2011 @ 7:15 pm (#

What a brilliant idea! I’m trying to decide if I should even show this recipe to my husband. I’m pretty certain he’d demand we eat it for dinner tomorrow night. ; )

11. Pauline June 16, 2013 @ 9:59 am (#

I could research this all day!! With any luck , you own an
    RSS feed I am able to sign up for. I have recently been browsing
    on the net with respect to reviews in regards to bacon.

12. Glen July 25, 2013 @ 11:21 pm (#

It’s awesome designed for me to have a site, which is beneficial in support of my know-how. thanks admin

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Bacon Popcorn — Buns In My Oven -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Starred: Food Findings « Work Brake

3. Pingback: Trane air conditioners

4. Pingback: 5 Ways We Make Movietime Interesting | Anissa's Free Babble with Anissa Mayhew

5. Pingback: 25+ Perfectly Popped Popcorn Recipes | theBitterSideofSweet