Chocolate Chip Surprise Muffins

Chocolate Chip Surprise Muffins recipe

I have a thing for muffins. I don’t make them very often, but when I do? Watch out, buddy. You do not want to stand between me and my muffins. I mean, come on! They’re like cupcakes for breakfast!

Most muffins are good, but sometimes they leave you wondering who forgot to slather them in frosting.

What? It’s just me who expects frosted cupcakes muffins for breakfast?

Well, because I know you all would get in an uproar if I frosted my muffins, I made these guys. The frosting is on the inside, which means it’s called a “filling” and fillings are perfectly reasonable and healthy. Trust me on that. Besides, these are made with whole wheat flour. Whole wheat flour cancels out all the other sins lurking around in these muffins. I’m sure of it.

Chocolate Chip Surprise Muffins recipe

You ready to hear what the super secret filling is? Can you handle it?

It’s sweetened cream cheese.

Sounds kinda boring, right?

Oh, Lordy, it’s anything but boring. The tang from the cream cheese plays so nicely with the sweet bites of chocolate sprinkled throughout the muffin.

Chocolate Chip Surprise Muffins recipe

These guys are amazing. The not too sweet muffin, the milk chocolate chips, the tangy cream cheese. I’m in trouble. Big trouble.

Excuse me, I need to guard my muffins. If my husband catches sight of these they’ll be gone before I have a chance to remind him that I own all rights to the muffins in this house and I don’t want to have to hurt him. I actually kind of like him. Almost as much as these muffins!

Chocolate Chip Surprise Muffins recipe

Chocolate Chip Surprise Muffins

• 1 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups King Arthur white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.

Whisk together the milk, oil, and egg. Stir in flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips just until the flour is moistened and everything is combined.

In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese, sugar, and milk.

Add a tablespoon of batter to each muffin cup. Place one teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture in the center of each muffin and then cover with another tablespoon or so of batter.

Bake 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from muffin tin immediately and cool for a few minutes on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

15 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Surprise Muffins”

1. Jessica @ How Sweet May 14, 2010 @ 11:44 am (#

Those looks absolutely gorgeous! And not to mention incredible delicious. I love cream cheese spread ON a muffin, so I’m sure it’s fabulous inside.

2. Lori May 14, 2010 @ 2:14 pm (#

These look amazing. I’m assuming they probably will not freeze well due to the cream cheese? Do they need to be refridgerated and how long do they keep?

Thanks!

3. Karly May 14, 2010 @ 2:55 pm (#

Lori,

I’m not sure about freezing. Cream cheese gets a bit icky when frozen, but it may work. Not sure, really.

I don’t refrigerate mine, but you certainly could. Ours usually only last a day or two. I’d probably go ahead and cover them good and refrigerate them if I was going to keep them any longer than that. Maybe 7-10 days in the fridge?

Sorry, I’m not very helpful today, am I?

4. Margaret May 14, 2010 @ 4:11 pm (#

The surprise is that you would have any left ever when they come out of the oven. Look wonderful.

Filling = Frosting on the inside. LOVE IT!!!

5. Terri Ab May 14, 2010 @ 7:12 pm (#

Wow, these look really good! I have to make snacks for church on Sunday and I have everything to make these – they will make the rotation!

I’ve recently found your blog and am enjoying it very much. I’m afraid I’m going to gain a lot of weight reading it, though!

6. BethieofVA May 14, 2010 @ 7:27 pm (#

Gee thanks, gotta make these now and it is all your fault! ;) YUMMY!!!

7. grace May 15, 2010 @ 3:22 pm (#

bless your heart, karly–i needed a chuckle and you delivered. :)
    FILLING. yes, that’s much more acceptable than a frosting (regardless of the fact that they consist of the same ingredients). these rock, and so do you. :)

8. pam May 15, 2010 @ 7:05 pm (#

Mmmmm, geez I’m not sure what I love more, your recipes or your photography! I do love the idea oof using whole wheat flour, I could see these muffins disappearing from my kitchen counter very quickly. Do you have any more recipes using the ww flour?
    Love ya!

9. Karly May 15, 2010 @ 8:55 pm (#

Pam,

You’re sweet. :)

I use whole wheat in quite a few recipes, usually half and half with all-purpose flour. I’d recommend the King Arthur white whole wheat for most desserts and stuff, though. It’s very mild and there is hardly any difference in flavor from white. I even use whole wheat in cookies most of the time.

I don’t list whole wheat flour on most of my recipes on here, but most can be made with it. Here are a few that I did use it in: http://bunsinmyoven.com/index.php?s=whole+wheat

10. sweetie May 16, 2010 @ 4:25 pm (#

FROST AWAY, i say! : )

11. Barbara May 17, 2010 @ 6:03 am (#

Oh my. Sort of a cheescake chocolate chip muffin. I’m drooling!

12. Erica Lea May 17, 2010 @ 8:11 am (#

Oh my. They look dreamy. Though I would use dark chocolate. Yes indeed. Your muffin papers are adorable – but your settings (& photos & recipes) always are. Have a wonderful day!

13. Ashley May 19, 2010 @ 8:08 am (#

Ooo love that you put a sweetened cream cheese filling!! I make muffins all the time but rarely make this style of cupcake muffin because I’d eat them all!

14. Erin @ Making Memories May 25, 2010 @ 3:34 pm (#

WOW! These look absolutely delicious! Cream cheese inside? I’m in!!!

15. Rachel May 16, 2013 @ 5:47 pm (#

How many muffins does this recipe make? Also, could a mixture of white flour and whole wheat flour be substituted for the white whole wheat flour?