Bacon and Cheddar Scones

I can pretty much guarantee that now that I have discovered the beauty of scones that you will all get sick of them and wish that I would stop posting scone recipes. Please, just indulge me for a bit longer okay? I need to thoroughly explore the world of the scone and I promise to only share the very, very best scones that I make. These fit in that very, very best category.

Bacon. Cheddar cheese. Green onions. Those are a few of my favorite ingredients and each one of them is hidden away inside these delightful little scones. Well, okay, so these weren’t “little” scones. They were big. Big and hearty and filling. They’re perfect for breakfast, but I think they’d go just wonderfully with a bowl of soup for lunch.

These were a bit fussier than my last recipe for Chocolate Chip Scones, but they were so worth the extra effort. We’ve been grabbing scones for breakfast every morning this week! They are quick to reheat in the microwave, but they are even tastier heated up in the oven for a bit.

Just look at these! They’re like a clean, compact little breakfast sandwich! In fact, I think I might go eat one now. For dessert. Don’t even try to stop me.

Bacon and Cheddar Scones
Recipe from The Pastry Queen

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup chilled butter, cut into small cubes
  • 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
  • 4 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 3/4 to 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tbsp water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Fit your mixer with the paddle attachment and add flour, baking powder, salt, and black pepper to the bowl. Mix on the low speed. Slowly add cubes of butter to the flour mixture and keep mixing until it is crumbly and your butter is in small pea sized pieces. Add the grated cheese and mix until blended in.

(If you don’t have a mixer just stir dry ingredients together and cut butter in with a pastry cutter or two knives and then stir in the cheese.)

Add the green onions, bacon, and 3/4 cup of buttermilk to the flour and cheese mixture. Mix by hand until all the ingredients are incorporated. Do not overwork the dough! If the dough is still to dry to hold together, add in more buttermilk 1 tablespoon at a time, until you can form the dough into a ball.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a ball. Using a well floured rolling pin, flatten the dough into a circle about 8 inches wide (mine was closer to 10 inches) and 1/2 inch thick. Cut the dough into 8 to 10 equal wedges depending on the size of scone you want.

Whisk egg and water together and brush the tops of the scone with the egg wash. I sprinkled a bit of kosher salt on the tops because I’m wild and crazy, but the original recipe didn’t call for this.

Place scones on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes or until they are golden brown and no longer sticky in the centers. Serve warm!

23 Responses to “Bacon and Cheddar Scones”

1. Michele February 24, 2010 @ 9:46 pm (#

Mmm, I have been exploring the world of scones lately too and I just can’t seem to get enough! I love these scones. I think I will have to make them for breakfast.

2. grace February 25, 2010 @ 7:22 am (#

i think scones should be relegated to savory sides–they just don’t do it for me as a breakfast goodie or dessert. that said, this batch is welcome as an accompaniment to any meal–hellooooo cheese and bacon! gorgeous photos, karly!

3. amanda @ fake ginger February 25, 2010 @ 7:45 am (#

Those look so good! I love bacon, cheddar, & green onions together so I definitely have to make these soon! There goes my diet!

4. shelly (cookies and cups) February 25, 2010 @ 8:15 am (#

ooh yum! I would most likely eat all of those myself, so I will reserve this recipe for a day when I am ready to drown my sorrows in bacon and cheese. maybe tomorrow ;)

5. Rachel February 25, 2010 @ 10:50 am (#

Girlfriend.

I just scooby doo’d my screen. YUM!

6. Sook @ My Fabulous Recipes February 25, 2010 @ 10:59 am (#

Oh these scones look delicious! I love scones like these… Bookmarked! :)

7. bunny February 25, 2010 @ 5:02 pm (#

You had me at “bacon”….

8. Sarah February 25, 2010 @ 9:55 pm (#

I’m expecting & your blog is my new weakness! Each day I visit, I feel compelled to bake or prepare at least one delicious dish I discover here. Next on the list are these bacon & cheddar scones – probably at 3 AM! Thank you!

9. krissy @ the food addicts February 25, 2010 @ 11:35 pm (#

bacon, cheddar cheese, and green onions… yup, that’s a great combo for a scone, alright! perfect for on-the-go!

10. Barbara February 26, 2010 @ 9:02 am (#

Now you’ve done it! The perfect scone! Bacon, check. Cheese, check. Green onions, check. Butter, buttermilk and flour. Oh man. I can just smell them!
    They look a bit thinner than regular scones which I like…might make them crunchier!

11. Gala February 27, 2010 @ 5:25 am (#

I love the ingredients…..the scones sound delicious!

12. Simone (junglefrog) February 27, 2010 @ 10:32 am (#

Haha.. you can just go on and keep on posting more of these gorgeous scone recipes! I can never get enough of them!

13. amy2boys February 28, 2010 @ 8:51 am (#

I’m so trying these – they look AMAZING!

14. my boyfriend cooks for me February 28, 2010 @ 6:07 pm (#

Shoot, I wish I had seen this earlier today when my boyfriend and I were bored yet unable to come up with a cooking project. These look fantastic!!

15. Miranda March 2, 2010 @ 1:10 pm (#

Could I just use the same scone dough as the chocolate chip ones? I have whipping cream but no buttermilk. And the chocolate chip ones were so easy.

16. Ashley March 3, 2010 @ 9:08 am (#

I definitely will not get sick of you posting scone recipes!! I can’t get enough scones yummm. Seeing your scones makes me want to run into the kitchen and make some!!

17. Lisa Engel March 5, 2010 @ 10:17 am (#

These look amazing!! I love the burnt cheese crisps on the edges of the scones. I’m almost thinking this recipe tops the one I just posted a couple weeks ago for ham & cheese scones.

18. Ciaochowlinda March 8, 2010 @ 11:31 am (#

Oh what a divine breakfast treat these would make. Who doesn’t love anything made with bacon and cheddar cheese.

19. Cookie March 8, 2010 @ 4:33 pm (#

I just recently discovered how easy it is to make scones and I love making savory ones! I’ll definitely have to give this one a try!

20. Julie March 20, 2010 @ 10:10 pm (#

What a wonderful sounding concoction! Love it :)

21. Mindy August 21, 2010 @ 9:26 am (#

Made these this morning and they were a huge hit!!

1. Pingback: Bacon-Cheddar Scones « Creative Cooking : Gluten Free