Chocolate Chip Scones

My first scone was bought from the grocery store bakery. It was pumpkin. It was also hard and crumbly and really dry. I don’t think I finished it.

My second scone was a chocolate chip scone that I made myself. It was soft, buttery, and delicious. I ate three.

Yes, it’s true. Scones are new to me, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t know a good scone when I taste one. Anything this fluffy and delicious is good food. It’s a fact.

I don’t know about you, but I generally avoid recipes that require me to spread flour on my counter tops. It’s just so messy and I always get icked out thinking that my counters aren’t really clean enough to be smooshing food around on them, no matter how much I wipe them down. Having said that, the minute I saw that this recipe called for 2 cups of heavy cream I completely forgot about the fact that I’d have to make a big floury mess. Heavy cream will make me do crazy things.

This dough comes together pretty easily. Dump everything into a bowl, give it a stir to make sure all the flour is moist, and then dump it out onto a floured countertop. Knead it for a few minutes and then seperate it into three balls of dough.

The dough balls easily smoosh out into circles that you can then cut with a pizza cutter. Brush the tops of the scones with melted butter and sprinkle with a bit of sugar before baking.

These scones were just delicious. They were nice and moist and all that heavy cream really gave them a great texture and flavor. These weren’t too sweet at all and I think they’d go perfect with a nice hot cup of coffee or tea or a big ol’ glass of icy cold milk.

Chocolate Chip Scones
Adapted from Hershey’s

• 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups dark chocolate chips
  • 2 cups cold whipping cream
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • extra sugar for sprinkling

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease two cookie sheets.

Mix together first five ingredients. Pour in cream and stir until the flour mixture is moistened. Turn mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until a soft dough forms, about 2 minutes. Divide dough into three equal sized balls. Flatten dough into a seven inch circle (use your hands to flatten the dough out) and cut each dough circle into eight triangles. Place on cookie sheets about two inches apart. Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.

36 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Scones”

1. shelly (cookies and cups) February 8, 2010 @ 8:05 am (#

These look great! I have never made scones, but this might just be the one!
    Also, made the buffalo chicken dip for the super bowl and it was amazing! Everyone loved it and you are absolutely right when comparing it to crack, I ate so much I STILL have a tummy ache!

2. Bunny February 8, 2010 @ 8:07 am (#

I had never had a scone either, I made a recipe I found on the net….it was disgusting. I’ve been looking for recipes ever since. These look amazing! And your right, 2 cups of cream….heaven!

3. Sara February 8, 2010 @ 8:51 am (#

Oh…I think I just drooled on my keyboard.

I just started making scones (I use Rose Levy Bernbaum’s Lemon Poppyseed recipe) and I can NOT wait to try these this weekend at home! I think I might cut them into heart shapes for Valentine’s Day!

4. Natalie (The Sweets Life) February 8, 2010 @ 10:49 am (#

I love scones and I’ve never made them with chocolate chips before…but that sounds like a dang good addition! Thanks for the great recipe!

5. Sook @ My Fabulous Recipes February 8, 2010 @ 11:16 am (#

Oh wow this recipe is definitely a keeper! Saving it right now. :)

6. Malin February 8, 2010 @ 12:47 pm (#

I love scones, but I never dared myself to swap the raisins for chocolate chips! Maybe I just have to – even though I have to spread flour all over my not so clean counter… And the dough looks amazing! So smooth!

7. MamaBug February 8, 2010 @ 8:56 pm (#

Oh, me and scones go waaayyyy back…and they hung around my waist, but I still love ‘em. My favorite is a plain scone with a small dollop of raspberry jam in the middle, but I’m up for trying this chocolate recipe.
    Yum!

8. Cody February 8, 2010 @ 10:10 pm (#

I think I’ve eaten exactly one-half of a scone in my entire life. Maybe the one I had was just so dry and hard that I haven’t really felt the need to try again… but, now I’m intrigued. I think I may have to answer the call of heavy whipping cream as well.

9. grace February 9, 2010 @ 8:29 am (#

soft, buttery, and delicious are three words i’ve never applied to scones. i must be doing something wrong. heck, i haven’t been using chocolate, so already that’s a strike against me. :)

10. Barbara February 9, 2010 @ 8:45 am (#

OMG. Do those look delicious! I’m getting some heavy cream when I’m out today. I already have some leftover chips! YUM.

11. Cheri February 9, 2010 @ 12:29 pm (#

Ooo.. do these ever look good. Like having a chocolate chip cookie for breakfast only a teensy bit healthier. I’m sold!

12. Nutmeg Nanny February 9, 2010 @ 12:56 pm (#

Scones are new to me too. I have always wanted to make some but have yet to get around to it. I saw a mix for a french toast scone and now I really want to try and come up with a homemade recipe for the same thing…yum! I’m totally loving all the chocolate chips that in those scones….delicious!

13. Jennifer February 9, 2010 @ 6:25 pm (#

These scones look sooo good!!

14. Simone (junglefrog) February 10, 2010 @ 3:16 pm (#

Ooo chocolate scones… Now that is a treat worth having! I recently (like last friday) had the best scones I had ever eaten in a little bakery in Amsterdam. They were soooo good. I’ve only ever made them myself once, but I will definitely be doing it again. I am the kind of person who actually likes to get flour all over my kitchencounter…lol… It’s just the cleaning up part afterwards that is not so good!

15. Jamie @ My Baking Addiction February 10, 2010 @ 8:22 pm (#

I love scones, and what could be better than chocolate chip scones?!?

16. Carla Wells February 11, 2010 @ 8:52 am (#

I work in a coffee shop and we make our own scones there…this recipe is almost exactly the same…only ours uses only 1 cup of heavy cream. The end result is a bit more crumbly than yours, I’m sure, but they are absolutely delish! We make cranberry scones (using frozen cranberries), chocolate chip scones, and Caramel Pecan scones (using some caramel coffee syrup in place of part of the liquid, and of course, pecans). We also drizzle ours with a powdered sugar/heavy cream glaze…it adds just a hint of extra sweetness to the not-so-sweet scone! Cranberry is my fave, but all three are big sellers!

17. Carla Wells February 11, 2010 @ 8:54 am (#

And I forgot to mention…for one batch, the same size as yours…we only make 8 scones. So, they are taller and pudgier. :) And, we just barely mix in the cream until the dry ing. are moistened…that helps retain that light, airy texture.

18. Miranda February 11, 2010 @ 8:22 pm (#

I made these today in about half an hour and they came out looking exactly like the picure. I halfed the recipe and still got 16 pcs. Was considering powdered sugar on top but as I’m new to making scones I didn’t mess with it. My two year old and I devoured 2 each immediately. I love your quick easy recipes. I have also tried the bacon cheese dip. Delicious!

19. jenny s February 12, 2010 @ 8:53 am (#

Oooh I can’t wait to try these. I have made cinnamon chip scones before and they’re so easy so I’m going to give these a try. I just bought a huge thing of cream for another recipe I made and wasn’t sure what the heck I was going to do with this leftover cream, so you solved that problem! and also nuttin’ better than chocolate (except butter, me and you have lots in common!)
    Jenny

20. Biz February 12, 2010 @ 3:24 pm (#

The first scone I ever had was at Starbuck’s – the cinnamon chip one – so good!

I definitely think yoru scones are insulin worthy – yum!

21. Emily February 15, 2010 @ 10:45 am (#

I love your website design! Your name is really clever :)

I absolutely love scones, blueberry are my fave. I have never made homemade ones, but this looks like something I will have to try.

Beautiful pictures!

22. Mandi February 15, 2010 @ 7:56 pm (#

I had so much fun making your scones! This was my first experience with scones and it was a good one. Love your web site and your recipes :) Keep ‘em coming!

23. The Purple Foodie February 21, 2010 @ 2:52 am (#

Oh Karly! I just want the biggest scone from the lot. I love reading your posts and have been enjoying your photography through my RSS reader.. keep t up!

24. Ashley February 21, 2010 @ 6:52 pm (#

I love your pizza wheel cutter! Mine is great but the design of yours is much better for keeping you from getting cut. The scones look amazing too. ;)

25. jessica February 22, 2010 @ 12:43 pm (#

wow i just made these and they are heaven!! The first batch was eaten and gone before i could make the second batch!

can’t wait to try out some more recipes from the site.

26. Sirkka March 27, 2010 @ 11:33 am (#

I’m all about homemade goodness and if you’re going to bake, make it with the best ingredients. I happen to love scones. You might call me a scone “aficionado.” What I loved about these scones other than the great taste was the easy recipe. One dish, basic ingredients, and a little kneading. Only suggestion I might make is to bake them on parchment paper and my oven required a few extra minutes baking time. I plan to use this as a basic recipe… Omitting the chocolate chips and adding white chocolate and dried peaches (my favorite scone at the local coffee shop) or chopped dark chocolate and dried cherries (2nd favorite). Thanks for the recipe. Nice website and photos as well.

27. yng yng January 17, 2011 @ 8:31 pm (#

Just made a batch of your scones and they are so good! Definitely moist and flavorful, a keeper!

28. Sue Neitzel January 21, 2011 @ 2:31 pm (#

Oh my, I’m so glad I found your blog! :)

29. jackie February 2, 2011 @ 8:59 am (#

Never made scones before, but these are amazingly good and easy and definitely not too crumbly! I’ll probably do it with mini chocolate chips next time, but may try almond flavoring and a little frosting and almond slivers too sometime…the possibilities are endless! Thanks for sharing!

30. Yue February 15, 2014 @ 9:45 pm (#

Thanks for the recipe!
    Again mine don’t look very elegant, but they are tasty! The best scone I’ve ever made so far!

Karly Reply: