Barbecue Biscuits

Barbecue Biscuits recipe

My little family likes things simple. They don’t do fancy food. They don’t want to look at it. They don’t want to smell it. They certainly don’t want to eat it. They don’t even want to hear the word fancy in relation to food. It’s a tough life I live.

Some days I plop down in the middle of my kitchen floor and I sob about it all. Other days, like today, I embrace the simple life. If I’m considering cooking something for my family but I’m not sure if they’ll eat it, I just ask myself one question.

Does it have ketchup in it?

If the answer is yes, there’s about a 95% chance they’re going to eat it.

With that rule in mind, I put together today’s lunch for me and the kids. These little Barbecue Biscuits are simple food, they contain ketchup, and not only do my kids love them, but so do I.

Let’s make these, shall we?

Barbecue Biscuits recipe

Quite a lot of my favorite recipes start like this: Dump a pound of ground beef into a pan and start browning it. I can’t help it. Ground beef is so versatile and kid-friendly. Also, it’s pretty yummy.

I always make one pound of ground beef for this, but I usually have a bit of left over meat. I like having the leftovers for lunch the next day, but if you aren’t a fan of leftovers, just use 3/4 of a pound of meat.

Barbecue Biscuits recipe

While your beef is browning, let’s make the sauce. Again, nothing fancy, this is just homemade sloppy joe sauce. You can’t go wrong with sloppy joe sauce. If you already have a favorite sauce, go ahead and use it. If you don’t, try mine. It’s pretty darn good, if I do say so myself.

This sauce is just ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Stir it together and dump it into the pan of cooked ground beef and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Told ya this was simple.

Barbecue Biscuits recipe

While the meat is simmering, grab your muffin tin. I always use regular sized muffins, but my tin was at my mama’s house so I had to use my mini muffin tin. It was kind of a pain in the butt, but I persevered.

Grab a can of refrigerator biscuit dough (or make up your favorite recipe of dough) and roll each biscuit into a ball. Flatten it out and press it into the muffin tins so that you have a little bowl shape. If you are using a mini muffin tin, use a half biscuit for each muffin.

Barbecue Biscuits recipe

Spoon as much as will fit into each biscuit and bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes. I let mine bake a little too long today and they got a bit crunchy. That didn’t stop my son from eating his weight in barbecue biscuits, though.

Barbecue Biscuits recipe

If you think your family can handle the excitment of it, go ahead a sprinkle a little grated cheddar cheese over the tops as soon as you take them from the oven.

Barbecue Biscuits recipe

(I was concerned about the above picture being kind of ugly, so I asked my husband what he would think if he just stumbled across that picture on the internet. “Would you want to eat that,” I asked. He looked at it and replied, “No. I’d ask myself what the heck they did to that muffin.” I have to say, I’m thrilled to provide y’all with such stunning photography here on Buns In My Oven.)

Barbecue Biscuits

• 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 can refrigerated biscuit dough (regular sized biscuits, 10 total)
  • grated cheddar cheese, for topping

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet, cook ground beef until no longer pink. Drain fat. In a small bowl, mix together ketchup, water, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Pour onto ground beef and stir to combine. Simmer over low heat for ten minutes.

While meat is simmering, roll each biscuit into a bowl, flatten and stretch the dough to fit in the muffin tin.

Spoon the meat into the biscuit cups and bake for about 10 minutes or until the dough is starting to brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese immediately.

18 Responses to “Barbecue Biscuits”

1. Jess September 28, 2009 @ 7:43 pm (#

We enjoy a version similar to yours. In mine, I use our favorite BBQ sauce instead of whipping up a sloppy joe type sauce. So yummy!

2. jules and ruby September 28, 2009 @ 11:38 pm (#

these are so unbelievably cute. they look like a one bite wonder.

3. Chris September 29, 2009 @ 7:15 am (#

This looks great – I’m going to try it tonight!

4. bunny September 29, 2009 @ 8:00 am (#

I think that would be an awesome party appetizer for football season. You could serve them right next to the pigs in a blanket. ;) I wonder if these would be good with taco seasoning/taco sauce instead of BBQ sauce for a mini taco biscuit and top with pepper jack cheese? And maybe a little sour cream and/or guac?

5. Simone (junglefrog) September 29, 2009 @ 10:53 am (#

That comment your husband made at the end had me laughing out loud here.. :) It’s really not that bad actually and it makes for a great story! I do think I have to make them at some point too as I am sure they would go down here very well. I don’t have kids but I am sure my husband can eat his weight in those little things as well!

6. Jill October 2, 2009 @ 8:15 pm (#

I have only one word for this recipe, repeated three times. NOM NOM NOM

7. grace October 4, 2009 @ 12:41 am (#

nothing wrong with a little simplicity, no ma’am. especially when said simplicity involves saucy beef and cheese AND doesn’t get insanely messy. this is brilliant–bravo!

8. Alison October 7, 2009 @ 5:44 pm (#

I’ve made these as mini sloppy Joe’s and before spooning the beef on the muffin squirt a little mustard in there. A little added surprise.

9. stephanie February 18, 2010 @ 4:59 pm (#

thanks for the giggle…was searching for recipies with the ingredients I have at home that my 3, 4 and 7 year old will eat and this sounds like just the thing. As the “non cooking spouse” I appreciate the step by step pictures. Seriously, I had to call my husband the chef at work to figure out how to turn on the oven. In my defense it is a high tech convection oven.

10. wendy May 19, 2010 @ 8:00 am (#

Wow – I’ve never seen this on someone’s blog before! I’ve made these for years, and like Jess said – I just use our favorite bottled BBQ sauce.

One more trick I started doing recently… I put extra cheese BEFORE the meat goes in, so there’s cheese under the meat too :) (you can never have too much cheese, ya know.)

11. melpy June 16, 2011 @ 5:00 pm (#

My boyfriend’s mother used to make these for him. I’ve since learned to make them. He puts American cheese quarter slices on his though.

12. Gourmet Secrets June 14, 2012 @ 5:07 pm (#

Nice recipe, simple but at the same time great and still looks delicious.

13. sallie June 18, 2012 @ 1:24 pm (#

will be making these tonight, I plan to double the recipe cause we are eaters! My daughters says they look like beef cupcakes. :^)

14. sallie June 19, 2012 @ 12:07 pm (#

I made these last night! They were awesome!! The only thing I changed was the sauce, just a little. I went to the store for a few ingredients, only to get home and find that I had NO worcestershire, so I used my favorite bbq sauce instead. I doubled the recipe, but those little guys are filling! I have big eaters and we still had 8 leftover. (which is fine with me! Leftovers make the best lunches!) Thanks for the idea, will definately work this into my regular dinner menu!

15. paula March 23, 2013 @ 4:53 pm (#

I am soo excited, I bought the bbq shredded pork in the 16oz container on sale, my family not excitied about sandwitches. Well I made these with cheese only on mine my family is weird, lol and we had a picnic it was a blast and so easy so must say LOVE YOU THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT IDEA it was a hit with my verrrry picky family. Im sure I will get requests from them on what else they want in their ( picnic ) dinners sorry about the speling

16. Jimini October 27, 2013 @ 4:34 am (#

I was a little disappointed that these were not actually made with Bisquick. I make my own ‘bisquik’ mix. That way I know exactly what goes into it. I am philosophically opposed to commercial products – they contain too much stuff that is artificial and contra-indicated for human health.

• Karly replied: — October 29th, 2013 @ 8:48 pm

@Jimini,

You can certainly make your own biscuits for this recipe. To each his own. ;)

1. Pingback: 23 Amazing Muffin Tin Recipes