Corn. With Bacon. Because Bacon Makes Everything Better.

I don’t want to alarm anyone or anything, but I am married to a very picky eater. He has passed his pickiness onto our 9 year old son and I have a feeling that one day soon our 4 year old daughter is going to start proclaiming that everything except for hot dogs and chocolate is GROSS! It’s a sad life to live, I tell you.

The one vegetable that everyone will eat is corn. Corn on the cob or corn off the cob, it doesn’t matter so long as it is yellow and has a bit of butter and salt on it. I’m sure I don’t have to tell you how very boring corn can get after eating it once a day for the past 27 years of my life.

Well, I am through eating boring old corn every single day.

Let’s make corn exciting again, shall we?

Corn. With Bacon. Because Bacon Makes Everything Better.  recipe

First, chop up six slices of bacon into  bite size chunks. Pop them into a pan and let ‘em cook.

While the bacon is frying, dice a couple bunches of green onions. If your family is really picky you can leave these out. You could also use a yellow onion, but there is no way my kids would go for that. As it was, my husband took one bite and said “That green stuff is ONION!” and then he wouldn’t eat anymore. Yes, it’s true. I married a big baby.

After the bacon is nice and crisp remove it from the pan, but leave the drippings. Add in the onion and cook it until it’s nice and soft.

Corn. With Bacon. Because Bacon Makes Everything Better.  recipe

Dump your corn into the pan along with the green onions. I used 2 cans of corn this time, but I normally use one bag of frozen corn. I like the frozen stuff much better than canned. You could also use fresh corn.

Drop in a handful of grated cheddar cheese.

Saute the corn, green onions, and cheese for about 5 minutes, stirring pretty often. Don’t let the cheese burn on the bottom of the pan. You’ll regret it.

After the cheese has melted and the corn is good and hot, go ahead and dump in 1/2 cup of milk, cream, or half and half. I used cream, of course. I’m a bad girl.

Add the bacon back in, give it a stir, and cook over low heat until hot and bubbly.

Corn. With Bacon. Because Bacon Makes Everything Better.  recipe

It’s hard to tell from this picture, but the corn is so creamy and delicious. The cheese just kind of disappears into the background and leaves you wondering just what the heck it is that makes this so yummy. The bacon brings a nice smoky flavor to the sweet corn. What I’m trying to say is, go make this. Now.

Corn with Cheese and Bacon

6 slices bacon
2 bunches green onions
1 bag frozen corn
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, half and half, or milk
salt and pepper, to taste

Chop bacon into bite sized pieces and fry until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, but leave drippings. Cook diced green onions in bacon drippings until soft, add corn and cheese to pan. Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add cream and bacon to pan, stir and cook for about 5 more minutes until hot and bubbly.

31 Responses to “Corn. With Bacon. Because Bacon Makes Everything Better.”

1. Erica from Cooking for Seven June 3, 2009 @ 3:48 pm (#

Hello!

I just discovered your blog – very nice. I can’t wait for more!

This corn looks so good. I also prefer frozen corn to canned. It tastes so fresh. Lovely photos, btw.

2. MamaBug June 3, 2009 @ 6:57 pm (#

Oh. My. Holy. Flippin’ Deity
    That looks so good and I can’t believe it’s low-cal ;)
    I’m making in with my fake shep. pie next week.

I am all for frozen vs. canned but I’m really anti creamed corn (GASP!)and to me canned corn has that same flavor.
    Are you all done with the reeses p-b eggs? :)

3. Jill June 3, 2009 @ 8:59 pm (#

NOM NOM NOM! You have to join Eat, Drink and Blog with me!! You can totally cross post to raise your readership!

4. Happy Cook June 4, 2009 @ 3:09 am (#

When it womes to veg my hubby is also a picky eater, which my daughter has also automatically inherited.
    Corn looks yumm.

5. Sophie June 4, 2009 @ 5:38 am (#

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM….

6. Andrea June 4, 2009 @ 10:24 am (#

You had me at bacon and cheese… Yum!
    I feel your pain with the picky eater. My husband is too, luckly he will at least try somthing before he decides he doesn’t like it. I pray that my children (when I have them) will take after me and not him.

7. Aliceson June 5, 2009 @ 2:01 pm (#

My husband and kids love corn. I don’t, but this I would eat and of course make. I’ll have to try this when the local corn is ready. You’re right, bacon DOES make everything better!

8. Simone (junglefrog) June 5, 2009 @ 3:21 pm (#

And I thought I had to complain because my husband doesn’t like cheese… :) How can you not like green bits in anything..:) Haha… This looks absolutely delicious!

9. rachel-asouthernfairytale June 5, 2009 @ 4:11 pm (#

This is soooo good!!! I add green chilies or fresh jalapenos when I make this and EVERYONE loves them! NOM NOM!!!! Great recipe and darlin’ site!!

10. Jen B. June 7, 2009 @ 3:26 am (#

My god, I’m drooling.

11. shoeaddict June 10, 2009 @ 8:11 pm (#

My husband doesn’t eat any veggie but corn either. He’d love this.

12. Mocha Dad June 12, 2009 @ 8:42 pm (#

This is my new favorite recipe.

13. Phil E. Drifter June 16, 2009 @ 11:09 am (#

What a great idea.

14. can cook June 16, 2009 @ 5:02 pm (#

terrible idea, why is something like this even taking up server space..

15. Joe June 16, 2009 @ 10:22 pm (#

Nutritional Fail.

Corn is full of empty carbohydrates. It hardly counts as a vegetable.

16. Kat June 17, 2009 @ 5:57 am (#

This looks awesome! I came over via a link from StumbleUpon, and I’m glad I did… I think I must also put you in my RSS feedreader so I can keep track of the awesome yumminess you post ;-) And I second the opinion of AWESOME pics!

As for “can cook” (I have my doubts) and “Joe” – pffffft! Didn’t your mother teach you that if you can’t say something nice, it’s better to say nothing at all??

17. Jerry Watson June 17, 2009 @ 8:36 am (#

Hi,
    I found this site via Stumbleupon and I think your corn/bacon recipe sounds great! My wife and I like corn and all the rest. I can’t wait to try this. I’m also going to sign up for your RSS feed. Good job! Keep cookin’!

18. Cookin' Canuck June 20, 2009 @ 7:22 am (#

Beautiful photos on your blog! The recipe looks delicious. I agree that bacon makes everything better.

19. Joe June 22, 2009 @ 2:29 am (#

Sorry for my negativity, but this recipe bugs me to no end, if only because it’s food like this that’s expanding the waistbands of this country. You don’t have to switch to rabbit food, but for your hearts’ sake get some real veggies in there.

Here we got corn (mostly starch and sugar), bacon (fat), heavy cream (yet more fat), and cheddar cheese (even more fat). The only real vegetables in this dish are the &@#$ green onions!

Cut down the cream and cheese by half, or leave them out entirely. Add a half bag of real vegetables like peas and carrots, would be better.

Alright. I’ll quit raining on your parade.

20. Karly June 22, 2009 @ 6:29 am (#

@Joe I never said this dish was healthy! I’m perfectly aware that it’s not and I’m sure all the other people who choose to make this dish are aware as well. Thanks for your concern about my diet, but I promise I know the difference between healthy and unhealthy foods. Sometimes I just choose to go the unhealthy route.
    -Karly

21. Karen Sugarpants December 25, 2009 @ 11:51 am (#

Hahaha Karly, you should have just told Joe you were Canadian, not a fat American.

I’m making this as our contribution to Christmas dinner. Word to your elastic pants.
    xoxo

22. Sara January 16, 2010 @ 8:23 pm (#

Another WIN! Ignore the haters…they’re just bitter from lack of yummy food! I made this using corn off the cob that we froze ourselves…YUM-O!

23. Joe March 4, 2010 @ 6:56 pm (#

Substitute smoked sausage for the bacon. Add green and red bell peppers, some Cajun seasoning and you’ve got Cajun corn.

24. Jackie May 4, 2010 @ 8:18 pm (#

Hi Karly

What size bag of frozen corn did you use.

25. LJ October 11, 2010 @ 9:26 am (#

just made this recipe for a pig roast we went to last nite. I used 2 large frozen bags of corn (the family sized bag) and eyed the amount of cheese, bacon and cheese. It made enough to fill a 1/2 tray. WOW! Was this awesome! (and yes, sinful!) but at a party, who cares? I just know this dish beat out the Mac and cheese dish, the tomato and mozzarella dish, grilled veggie platter the pasta and broccoli rob dish, the chili and the mussels and calamari dish. I didn’t brag, but boy, did it feel good that my dish was completely gone !

26. John March 27, 2011 @ 11:38 pm (#

Looks good but corn is not a vegetable it’s a grain. You might as well cook that with wheat or rice… If they won’t eat veggies try things like spouted grain breads and sneak some ground sprouted seeds in the meals to supplement.

27. Darline Stoddard May 17, 2011 @ 1:56 pm (#

Just discovered you…Your recipes are going to be served at
    our family gatherings this summer…they all look sooooo
    yummy…amazing photos too…

28. Sarah....Loves calories August 31, 2011 @ 6:35 pm (#

You know what….. Its so silly that people have to find a web site and then try to demean it in any way possible. Ok so the recipe is higher up on the calorie intake. Heres the deal, for those who want to say this recipe is the ruin of the human race’s waist band, Learn to BECOME ACTIVE< NO? I am the type willing to go out and hike and bike ride with m family and not worry about splurging on the occasional AMAZING RECIPE. Who are you to knock someone who wants to post a blog about yummy comfort food? How about you quit knocking on someone who wants to share a recipe and get off your bum and do something about your increasing "waist band" I bet my bottom dollar that your overweight and just jealous so you look around for reasons to justify your gluttony.
    Karly I love your blog and so excited to see more recipes. Please keep it up because I can hang with the extra cheese and I wont go trying to blame you if my skirts too tight tomorrow…..As for you, Joe comment number 19 get a life and stay fit. Its good for you. Thats all I have to say and Im done "raining on this parade" LOVE YOUR SITE TO PIECES. By the way your Rolo cookie recipe was Awesome!

29. Rebecca September 19, 2011 @ 1:16 am (#

Thanks for the recipe. As other mothers will know with fussy kids it’s all about getting them to eat something! I’m looking forward to trying this tonight!

1. Pingback: What’s On Your Thanksgiving Menu? — Buns In My Oven