Cheesecake with Whiskey Butter Sauce. Yes, Really.

Cheesecake. With whiskey? And butter? And…sauce? Oh my heavens, YES.

My husband’s most favorite food in all the land is cheesecake.  It’s pretty easy to understand why. It’s creamy and delicious and full of fattening goodness. Why wouldn’t it be a favorite food? When we first got married I made him those Jello No-Bake cheesecakes quite often, but you and I both know that Jello cheesecake just isn’t the same as the real thing! And we need the real thing. Oh, yes, we do.

My husband likes his cheesecake with peanut butter and chocolate drizzled on top, but this time I decided to live a little and change it up with this whiskey butter sauce. I don’t believe I’ll go back to the chocolate and peanut butter drizzle. No sir.

cream-cheese1

The first rule of cheesecake baking is to get all of your ingredients to room temperature. Get out your cream cheese, eggs, sour cream and milk. Let ‘em sit. This will probably take about 30 minutes. Patience, my friend. Patience.

Oh, and don’t forget to pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.

graham-cracker-box

While we’re waiting let’s make the crust. I like to use cinnamon graham crackers. You can use plain if you like. But don’t blame me if your crust is boring.

crackers

Pull out two little packages of crackers (16 crackers total).

take-a-bite1

Um, I mean 15 crackers total. Yum.

If you have a food processor, go ahead and put that baby to use. Me, I use a ziploc bag and a rolling pin.

bag-of-crackers

Put half of the crackers in a gallon size bag.

crushing

Seal the bag tight and crush the heck out of those crackers. Repeat with the other half of the crackers.

graham-cracker

Dump the crumbs into a medium sized bowl and pour four tablespoons of melted butter over the top. (Don’t worry, I won’t bore you with the pictures I took of the melted butter. Melted butter. It’s beautiful. But boring.) Stir it all up. Go ahead and lick the fork. I won’t tell anyone.

buckle

Now get out your 9 inch springform pan and grease it up. Make sure the buckle (is that what it’s called? I’m afraid I don’t know.) is locked tight.

buckle1

Yep. She’s locked up tight.

wrap-the-pan

Now, because we are going to bake this cheesecake in a water bath, we want to wrap the pan in foil. Wouldn’t want any water leaking into the good stuff, would we?

wrapped-in-foil

Just fold the foil up around the sides of the pan. And then repeat with another sheet of foil. Better safe than sorry, I always say.

crumbs-in-pan

Pour the crumbs in your (locked up tight and foil wrapped) pan. Press them into the bottom and, if you like, up the sides.

crust

Mm. I do love graham cracker crust.

cream-cheese

Now that our cream cheese is at room temperature, let’s undress it.

(This is the part where I got busy with the actual making of the cheesecake and gave up on the pictures. Also, my mixer is in a dark, dreary corner of my kitchen with zero light.)

Put the cream cheese and granulated sugar in the bowl of your mixer and beat until smooth. Add in the milk and then the eggs, one at a time. Don’t beat the crap out of this, we just want everything incorporated. Next add in your sour cream, vanilla, and flour. Mix it just until smooth. Overmixing will cause CRACKS in your finished cake. Cracks are the worst possible thing in the land of cheesecake. Actually, I take that back. One time I accidentally dropped an egg, shell and all, into my mixer while the mixer was on. So, I suppose that EGG SHELL is the worst possible thing in the land of cheesecake, but cracks are a close second.

Now set your springform pan on a very large cookie sheet with sides (or you could use a roasting pan, but I couldn’t find mine). We’re going to add water to the cookie sheet after we put it in the oven. If you don’t have a pan large enough to fit your springform pan, just bring a pan of water to a boil and set that in the bottom of your oven. The steam should prevent any CRACKS from forming. Remember what I said about CRACKS? They are bad, man.

on-the-pan

Pour the cheesecake mixture into your prepared pan and move that baby to the oven.

Add anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of very hot water to the cookie sheet. Let the cheesecake bake for 60 minutes if you like it to be very creamy and moist or for 90 minutes if you like it a bit more dry. I baked mine for 60 minutes and ooh boy is it ever good and creamy.

After the time is up, turn off your oven and LEAVE THE CHEESECAKE IN THERE. Let it cool in the oven for 2 hours. When two hours are up, take it out of the oven, cover it with tinfoil and pop it in the fridge to cool overnight.

baked1

Oh, lordy. Look at what I’m havin’ for breakfast.

open-her-up

Alright, now. Ever so gently open her up.

baked-up1

Oh my word. Would you look at how beautiful she is?

Before I devour this thing, we better get on with the whiskey butter sauce. Are you ready for the whiskey butter sauce? Are you SURE? You better be sure, because this stuff is delicious. Extra super delicious.

There’s just one problem. Whiskey butter sauce? It doesn’t like to be photographed. It’s very shy, you see. So, I’m going to walk you through this incredibly easy sauce without pictures. I apologize.

This sauce needs to be used immediately or it will harden up and not be pourable. I only made enough for 2 slices of cheesecake, which used 2 tablespoons of whiskey, 2 tablespoons of butter, and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. If you want to make enough for 8 slices, you’ll need 1/2 cup of whiskey, 1/2 cup of butter, and 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Easy peasy.

To start, dump your whiskey into an already hot sauce pan over medium-low heat. It’ll sizzle and steam. I like to breathe in all the steam and pretend that I’m drunk. Now, don’t stand around all day breathing in the steam or your whiskey will boil away and that would be tragic. Just take one nice deep breath and then add in HALF of your butter. Stir it around until the butter and whiskey are one. Now add in your brown sugar and stir until the brown sugar has dissolved and then add in the rest of your butter. Keep stirring for about a minute until the sauce has thickened up enough to spoon over your cheesecake.

Try not to lick the spoon yet. Just trust me when I say it’s very hot.

from-the-top

Cut yourself a nice big slice.

sauce-top

And spoon the sauce right on top.

with-sauce-new

Oh man. Look at how gooey and creamy that is. It’s good, man. Real good.

dirty

I don’t know what it is about this picture but it makes me feel dirty. Kind of like a peeping tom, looking at the cheesecake’s private bits. Does this picture make you feel that way too? I’m sorry if it does. I really am.

bite

Moving on from the cheesecake’s naughty parts…I’d share this with you if I could. I really would. But I can’t. So go make your own. And that’s an order.

Cheesecake with Whiskey Butter Sauce

For the crust:

• 15 graham crackers, crushed
  • 4tablespoons butter, melted

Mix the graham cracker crumbs with melted butter and press into a greased 9 inch springform pan. Wrap bottom and sides of springform pan in double layer of foil.

For the cheesecake:

• 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring all ingredients to room temperature. In large bowl mix together cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Blend in the milk and then add the eggs one at a time, mixing just until incorporated. Mix in sour cream, vanilla, and flour just until smooth. Pour into prepared pan. Place the springform pan on a cookie sheet with sides or in a large roasting pan. Pour about 1/2 inch of water into the cookie sheet/roasting pan and bake the cheesecake for 60-90 minutes depending on how moist you want the cake. Let the cheesecake cool for 2 hours in the oven. Remove from oven, cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

For the whiskey butter sauce (enough to cover entire cheesecake)

• 1/2 cup whiskey
  • 1/2 cup butter, halved
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar

Set a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Pour in 1/2 cup of whiskey and then add half of the butter. Stir until the butter has melted and add in the brown sugar. Stir until the brown sugar has melted into the sauce and then add the rest of the butter. Stir constantly until sauce has thickened up. Spoon over sliced cheesecake.

31 Responses to “Cheesecake with Whiskey Butter Sauce. Yes, Really.”

1. Leslie January 26, 2009 @ 12:30 am (#

I love cheesecake. I love it more than I love doughnuts. And I love doughnuts almost as much as I love my kids.

This looks delicious. I’m fighting the urge to lick the screen.

2. shoeaddict January 29, 2009 @ 12:24 am (#

I have never made cheesecake but I think that you, my dear, have inspired me.

Plus, I love whiskey, um, cheesecake.

3. Jill February 23, 2009 @ 11:59 am (#

I want to marry you and that cheesecake in an illegal, but very delicious ceremony.

4. Deseree February 24, 2009 @ 2:25 pm (#

That looks absolutely amazing! I love love love cheesecake!

You have a lovely blog here, thanks for stopping by mine! :)

5. nina March 21, 2009 @ 10:45 pm (#

Oh no, you are such a tease…cheesecake for breakfast…..now I am seriously contemplating the idea!!!! Whiskey sauce, please help me someone……I’m falling!!!!!

6. Crassie May 7, 2009 @ 2:23 pm (#

To many useless photos.

7. Suzanne May 7, 2009 @ 4:18 pm (#

I loved all the photos! Looks amazing!!

8. Miranda May 11, 2009 @ 12:15 am (#

I loved the pictures, and I absolutely LOOOOOVED the commentary. If I had an award for best blog writer ever, you would win. You put all other sites to shame. I’m more of a sewing/crafts king of gal, but this site makes me want to cook to death. What a delicious looking cheesecake.

9. Miranda May 11, 2009 @ 12:16 am (#

Ahh typo. I meant “kind”, not “king”, obviously. I’m off in wonderland today.

10. Carrie May 14, 2009 @ 3:11 pm (#

this recipe looks tasty and great pictures too!

11. zestycook May 25, 2009 @ 7:24 am (#

WOW Karly! This looks amazing!

zesty

12. Susan May 27, 2009 @ 5:31 pm (#

Wow, this looks sinful! And delicious!

13. Cherie September 9, 2009 @ 1:18 am (#

Hmm, if I was going to make this for a potluck-type event, could I just drizzle the sauce over the top of the whole cheesecake in advance?

14. Margaret October 15, 2009 @ 7:47 pm (#

Fantastic looking cheese cake.

Your photos are really amazing.

15. Nicky Martin November 10, 2009 @ 9:30 am (#

Wow – the ultimate cheesecake is the baked cheesecake. I would say that any cheesecake prepared with gelatine is added to the seriously bad category. The baked ones are richer, creamier and tastier. Haven’t made this yet but your lovely pics and detailed instructions have galvanized me. Although we don’t have ‘graham crackers’ in the UK, I think our digestives may come a close second and so will have to do. Thanks for your inspiration…

16. Rocky November 19, 2009 @ 11:41 pm (#

I love cheesecake and yours looks divine, but Kraft brand cream cheese and graham crackers is totally gross and not nearly high quality enough. May I suggest using organic or locally produced foods, instead of the genetically modified death poison that Kraft is slanging? I don’t know where you are located, but in my area we have some really good local cheeses, including cream cheese. It is sooooo good and nothing compares! I suggest looking for some!

17. nicole May 10, 2010 @ 9:42 am (#

This looks great and seems easy enough to try! I have graham crackers crumbs- do you know how much I would need vs. the crackers?

18. Karly May 10, 2010 @ 10:12 am (#

Nicole,

I believe 15 graham crackers equals 1 cup of crumbs. :) Enjoy!

Karly

19. nicole May 10, 2010 @ 1:48 pm (#

Hi Karly,

I’m just starting the cheesecake and realized that my springform is dark- do you think I need to lower the oven temp or is your pan dark also?
    Thanks,
    Nicole

20. Wendito October 20, 2010 @ 3:45 pm (#

I almost choked when my friend requested a “whiskey” cheesecake for her birthday this year, until I found you!!! Thanks for blogging this recipe.
    How hard does the sauce get? Is it toffee like when it cools?
    I’m just wondering if I should prepare it in her kitchen when I get there?
    I thought maybe I’d make a little whiskey whipped topping to serve with it also :)
    What more inspiration could we ask for than booze and cheesecake?!?!
    Happy cooking!

21. Afra January 14, 2011 @ 9:59 pm (#

I had typed in cream cheese on google to find an image to show my dad. and I came across this website, and I’m in love with this blog! Good work.

22. Natalie January 27, 2012 @ 8:38 pm (#

Hi Karly, I just wanted to say that this cheesecake was a huge hit last year at my Robbie Burns dinner! So much so that I’m making it again for this years celebration. I love the way you presented this recipe. Great job!

23. amanda February 4, 2012 @ 9:23 pm (#

um, u know that cheese cake is NOT baked, it looks nasty!

24. tom@morethanpepper September 21, 2012 @ 9:01 am (#

oh man what a combo

25. ole September 24, 2012 @ 10:11 pm (#

click http://www.ccchinachic.com u can find u need!!! here u can find want!!

26. Sarah December 6, 2012 @ 10:15 pm (#

Omg this looks amazing… I love cooking with alcohol, I must try this sauce!

27. Martina January 7, 2013 @ 9:52 pm (#

This looks gorgeous! It doesn´t seem fait that I just found it now that I have started to diet… :( . I really like the way you write, it makes cooking even more appealing and fun.

28. Serkan October 29, 2013 @ 1:35 pm (#

why u no use metric system :P

my cheese part was so liquid, right now i am cooking, we’ll see result about 70 minutes

Karly Reply:

@Serkan,

Hope it turned out for you!

Serkan Çaylak Reply:

@Karly,

aaaa it was good but very sweet i am going to try one more time with my mixing ratio.

i almost forgot to mention that, when it was cooked it became solid, so liquidity was not a problem :D

thanks for everything